can I paint my pedal with nitro?

Angry Tele

• Members

Ive got a new BYOC pedal (Leeds fuzz!) and 1 can of Reranch black nitro Im never gonna use. Should I just paint the enclosure with it? My other pedal (BYOC MKII) I used poly and its really chipped already

I forget do I need to scuff up the metal before painting? do I need a primer? can I use poly primer like Fender does (its a pedal so I dont care about authentic looking wear-actually Im trying to minimize wear) and then poly clear? like a nitro sandwhich

• Members

For pedals you want to clean the metal really good and prime it nicely. Any finger oils or oils left from the enclosure manufacturing can cause problems.

Not sure what to say about using nitro or not, but I've had good luck with an enamel clear coat. Dries really hard and seems to get harder over time. Ends up looking and feeling like the typical boss pedal finish.

• Members

so Im thinking: krylon gray primer>black nitro>minwax clear nitro

I do have some butterscotch blonde nitro too, that would look weird though I think

I think I used krylon on this one, came out shiny like teh boss pedals...but I think I usd too much primer, its chipping really huge chunks on the bottom

fuzz.jpg

• Members

Don't use an enamel primer under it. Not compatible.

EG

well that sucks because nobody sells nitro primer. Im just gonna skip the primer then. I can get minwax clear nitro at walmart for $4, nitro primer would have to be shipped and cost like $30. fail

the whole deal was to use the nitro I have because its already paid for

I thought you can use poly under nitro just not the other way around?

• Members

so Im thinking: krylon gray primer>black nitro>minwax clear nitro

I do have some butterscotch blonde nitro too, that would look weird though I think

I think I used krylon on this one, came out shiny like teh boss pedals...but I think I usd too much primer,
its chipping really huge chunks on the bottom

Did you clean the box really well before you painted that one. That could be one of the cleaning issues I eluded too before. A good test to see if a box is clean is running water over it. It should sheet off it evenly. If you see spots where the water seems to avoid, or it it beads up you need to clean the surface better.

• Members

Did you clean the box really well before you painted that one. That could be one of the cleaning issues I eluded too before. A good test to see if a box is clean is running water over it. It should sheet off it evenly. If you see spots where the water seems to avoid, or it it beads up you need to clean the surface better.

yeah maybe, it was years ago so I dont recall but since then I refinished my Tele and know a lot more about painting now. Definitely gonna hit it with naptha first.

the chips are all on the bottoms corners where the primer is pretty light too

• Members

Enamel over lacquer is safe. Lacquer over enamel is a no go.

I bet a local hobby shop has a compatable primer. They use lacquer a lot on models.

EG

they have lacquer at my local hobby shop but only small bottles, most of those RC dudes use air brush...Ill check it out though. Worst case scenario Ill have to use poly color no big deal.

• Members

so I got some lacquer gray primer and clear gloss from the hobby store, both are for model cars, one is testor brand, it doesnt say what kind of lacquer so Im assuming its acrylic, is this ok sandwhich nitro with?

what do I scuff the enclosure with steel wool?

• Members

Careful putting nitro in a pedal unless you want to blow your foot off. Oh, you meant nitrocellulose... never mind.

at the hobby store they had these spray bottles that said NITRO on them but at closer inspection they were Nitromethane

Archived