Korg Pandora PX4D vs. PX5D

Sandvich

• Members

I'm wondering here if it's worth getting the 5D over the 4D. The advantages seem to be a lot more guitar volumes, more compact, USB recording, and I think uses less batteries?

On the other hand it's hard to find it second hand and thus I'll end up paying close to twice as much. It almost seems worth it though if the 5D is really a lot better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

For what?

For other uses? :confused:

You seem concerned over budget and he (as I and others) was suggesting to just get the PX4D.

At least that's what I got out of it... and that's my advice.

You've been asking about this for over a month, haven't you? You could have logged 60 hours of play time with a PX4D and a good set of headphones by now.

:poke:

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Can not comment on the PX5D, but if the noise gate hasn't been improved, maybe neither.

I have a PX4D which I'm going to unload of because of the noise gate and compressor. I like the cleans, but I went back to using a Zoom PFX-9003 for anything with gain.

• Members

Can not comment on the PX5D, but if the noise gate hasn't been improved, maybe neither.

I have a PX4D which I'm going to unload of because of the noise gate and compressor. I like the cleans, but I went back to using a Zoom PFX-9003 for anything with gain.

Details? I'd like to get one eventually.

• Members

Details? I'd like to get one eventually.

I found the compressor with distortion very noisy (trailing digital hissing sound) and the noise gate can not eliminate it effectively. Removing the compressor from the patches helps, but renders the compressor completely useless.

I play metal, so this is a no-go for me. If you are into high gain, you may need to look elsewhere IMO.

• Members

I found the compressor with distortion very noisy (trailing digital hissing sound) and the noise gate can not eliminate it effectively. Removing the compressor from the patches helps, but renders the compressor completely useless.

I play metal, so this is a no-go for me. If you are into high gain, you may need to look elsewhere IMO.

Did you use it as a "live" unit? I'd only just use for recording via USB. I like high gain once in a while, yes.

• Members

I'm selling my 4. It's cool, but the need for it is near non existent. If it didn't eat batteries the way it does, then maybe I would have more use for it. But having to use it tethered to a AC chord removes the main function that I wanted out of it. The looping function sounds very poor as well. It has some good stuff in it, but I'd say save your money.

• Members

Did you use it as a "live" unit? I'd only just use for recording via USB. I like high gain once in a while, yes.

No, only used for practicing. Korg PX4D or Zoom PFX-9003I -> (with or w/o) Tascam MPGT1 MP3 Trainer -> AKG headphones.

I've heard, but can not verify that the 5D can be really noisy when connected via USB or when not on batteries. I believe this, because I also have the same problem when using a Zoom G2.1u via USB. Noisy as hell, but disconnect the USB cable and use the supplied power supply, very quite. The problem is my desktop computer's power supply, so YMMV. If you are using a laptop computer, use it on batteries when recording and you may be fine. I've had that experience too when recording to or from a notebook computer. Power supplies and grounding problems can cause all kinds of unwanted noises.

If you want to duplicate the problem I described with my 4D, just find a high gain patch, hit any single note, then immediately mute it. You will hear a trailing hiss before the noise gate kicks in and cuts it off. Disabling the compressor and reverb (which is poor anyway) helped allot. My patches always had these two disabled.

Archived