Gimme a full detail on Jaguars

RocknRollOver

• Moderators
The fact that they're moved back also eliminates the sympathetic resonance you get from strings behind the bridge on other series.

I'm a Jaguar/Jazzmaster fan who used a MIJ Jag as his main guitar and is considering buying a CP Jazzmaster... does it really eliminate it? I can imagine it changing the sound a bit, but it's still a pretty similar tailpiece.
:confused:

• Members
I'm a Jaguar/Jazzmaster fan who used a MIJ Jag as his main guitar and is considering buying a CP Jazzmaster... does it really
eliminate
it? I can imagine it changing the sound a bit, but it's still a pretty similar tailpiece.

:confused:

The shortened length of string behind the bridge as well as the increased break angle resulting from the tailpiece being moved forward does a lot to mute it, but perhaps it's not gone entirely. It's pretty significant, though.

• Members

I owned a 65/66 Fender Jag for many years.
It was the bound neck/block inlay variety and I found her at a pawn in the mid 70's for $200 with original case.
I recently sold her too Beck(2 turntables and a microphone)
for $1400 through Elderly Instruments.
She was 100% original and needed only the solder joints re hit after all that time.
hpim1036wk0.th.jpg
hpim1027fa7.th.jpg

• Moderators

The shortened length of string behind the bridge as well as the increased break angle resulting from the tailpiece being moved forward does a lot to mute it, but perhaps it's not gone entirely. It's pretty significant, though.

Interesting, thanks.

Have you played a CP JM much?

• Members

Interesting, thanks.

Have you played a CP JM much?

I've played the ones with the double hums in a couple stores, and they're pretty cool but just not for me. Like I said, I think they're a better choice for someone who isn't already an offset fan, since they're a lot more accessible with fewer weird personality quirks.

• Members

I've played the ones with the double hums in a couple stores, and they're pretty cool but just not for me. Like I said, I think they're a better choice for someone who isn't already an offset fan, since they're a lot more accessible with fewer weird personality quirks.

I had a Classic Player Jaguar for a while and my assessment is similar. The position of the trem closer to the bridge, the increased neck angle, and the tune-o-matic bridge essentially eliminate most "problems" people associate with Jaguars and Jazzmasters. The problem for me is that it kills the feel and really eliminates a lot of the jangly tone I associate with the old trem and bridge design. They are great guitars that play well and sound great, but if you want the feel and tone of an original, they don't fully deliver - though they're in the same family, for sure. They're certainly great guitars, but it's more a question of what you're looking for - the Jaguar/Jazzmaster look, or the vintage feel, tone and quirkiness.

• Members

I absolutely loved my CP Jaguar, even more so than my AVRI Jag. Even the stock single coil pickups were alright, but it definitely would have benefited from a pickup upgrade as the stockers were too dark for the kind of music I play.

I should have kept it and sold the AVRI, but at the time I thought I'd made the right decision. My old CP Jag is one of the few guitars I miss.

• Members

To really understand the Jaguar, you need to understand the design goals. This was a jazz guitar.

The guitar has a short scale to lessen the tension when using flatwound strings as jazzers did. In those days, Fender sold two sets of Masterwound Flatwound strings, .013-.054 standard gauge and .012-.050 light gauge.

The bridge was designed around these strings as well. Use heavy flatwound strings and the bridge works. Use roundwound strings, and you'll have problems with the strings flopping out. Mustang bridges help correct this if you're using roundwounds, but the Mastery works best if you play hard.

The pots on the lead circuit are 1M instead of the standard 250k used on most Fender guitars, giving a brighter sound to counteract the dullness of flatwound strings.

Also, the separate lead and rhythm circuits were aimed directly at jazzers. You could preset a rhythm volume and tone for comping and flip a switch to a preset lead volume and tone for soloing. Again, the basscut switch on the lead circuit was meant to help the flatwounds cut through the mix. Use roundwounds and this switch becomes less usable.

Thomastik-Infeld flatwounds or their pure nickel roundwound strings work great on these guitars. If you use lighter strings, you may have to shim the neck to increase the break angle over the bridge.

• Moderators

You could preset a rhythm volume and tone for comping and flip a switch to a preset lead volume and tone for soloing.

That's basically what I do and it works great. I never understand people going on about the "confusing, impractical switches". It's pretty easy and it works great.

• Members

To really understand the Jaguar, you need to understand the design goals. This was a jazz guitar.

The guitar has a short scale to lessen the tension when using flatwound strings as jazzers did. In those days, Fender sold two sets of Masterwound Flatwound strings, .013-.054 standard gauge and .012-.050 light gauge.

The bridge was designed around these strings as well. Use heavy flatwound strings and the bridge works. Use roundwound strings, and you'll have problems with the strings flopping out. Mustang bridges help correct this if you're using roundwounds, but the Mastery works best if you play hard.

The pots on the lead circuit are 1M instead of the standard 250k used on most Fender guitars, giving a brighter sound to counteract the dullness of flatwound strings.

Also, the separate lead and rhythm circuits were aimed directly at jazzers. You could preset a rhythm volume and tone for comping and flip a switch to a preset lead volume and tone for soloing. Again, the basscut switch on the lead circuit was meant to help the flatwounds cut through the mix. Use roundwounds and this switch becomes less usable.

Thomastik-Infeld flatwounds or their pure nickel roundwound strings work great on these guitars. If you use lighter strings, you may have to shim the neck to increase the break angle over the bridge.

money

thanks for some intelligent info - precisely on topic

Mustang was the first E guitar I had & just loved it . . . wish I still had that baby. Always wanted a Jag; never understood why I wanted one

• Members

I love my Jag. I put some Graph Tech Tusq saddles on mine and it solved several of the typical Jaguar issues. Mine is a US made AVRI, but it really should have a matching headstock. Wildwood was able to get some--I really should have waited and bought mine from them, but it's still a nice guitar with a very thin nitrocellulose lacquer finish.

jaguar01.jpg
jaguar02.jpg
jaguar03.jpg
jaguar04.jpg

[YOUTUBE]lwRh24Ta0VY[/YOUTUBE]

Archived