Gimme a full detail on Jaguars

RocknRollOver

• Members

Here's my take on them:

Jazzmasters and their variants were a bit of a "greatest hits" design for Fender. It has a lot of strat-type stuff going on, including a trem assembly which is arguably superior to the strat trem, but the guitar also harks back to the Tele in terms of thinking around tone.

A strat has three pickups that are much more similar in tone than the two pickups of the tele were; the neck pickups on a tele is traditionally almost muffled. The Jazzmaster took this idea further, with an entirely different "rhythm mode" you can switch in, with its own tone and volume controls. The Jag and Mustang offer variants on this idea.

They're very interesting guitars, and have their own unique things going on, but they do have a weird design flaw, which is that the behind the bridge resonances can be problematic. Or, depending on your tastes, are part of the sound of the guitar.

Myself, I like them, but I can't seem to bond with them as a player. They're a bit of a curate's egg, really. You really need to try one out.

• Members

They're all quirky bastards. They're super comfortable to play sitting down due to the offset contour. Jags and JMs have this bridge system that rocks with the trem, but most people don't set the guitars up right so they get buzz here. Also, they were designed for 11 gauge strings, so some modification is needed to make them get along happily with 9s or 10s. They're goddamn gorgeous and very unique, but IMO versatile and usable for just about any style of music, especially Jazzmasters.

• Members

As of recently you have both the vintage-correct Japanese and American Jaguars, and the "Classic Player" models from Mexico and the dual-humbucker "Special" from Japan which have less traditional specs.

All have the same (supremely comfortable) body and the same 24" scale.

Most (but not all) have small vintage frets and 7.25" radius, which is a deal-breaker to some.

Most have the highly complicated switching scheme (complicated but IMO useful). I think the CP models have slightly different switching.

The CP models don't have the much-debated Jaguar bridge, but a tune-o-matic style. The Japanese HH Special (pictured below) has a tune-o-matic and no trem:

Fender_Jaguar_Special.jpg

• Members

As of recently you have both the vintage-correct Japanese and American Jaguars, and the "Classic Player" models from Mexico and the dual-humbucker "Special" from Japan which have less traditional specs.

Oh yeah, all the different models!

AVRI match vintage specs pretty closely, with regards to neck shape and radius, frets, electronics, etc. They're spec'd like pre-CBS Jags, with a few exceptions (no clay dots, slab boards, etc).

Japanese reissues also come rather close, but not exactly. The trems are built differently (most big JM/Jag aficionados hate the import trems) and the pickups on JMs are more like regular single coils. Electronics aren't amazing either, using mini pots and small disc caps. Electronic plates are also thinner on Jags, which is purely cosmetic, but still. Japanese reissues are available with bound fretboards, block inlays, and matching headstocks on some models, like the JG66B.

There's a series called 'Thin Skin', which is a run made for three music stores. They're much like the AVRI but with a slightly modified finish (the specifics of which have been debated endlessly), matching headstocks, and a 9.5" fretboard instead of the traditional 7.25". There are also a couple Thin Skin 59 model Jazzmasters, which are available in white blonde or sunburst and feature gold anodized pickguards. They're not particularly vintage accurate, but they look good.

Then you've got the current Classic Players. They're the least accurate of all, but the most friendly to new Jag/JM players since they lack some of the quirks of the others. For instance, they have a modern 9.5" radius, a TOM-style bridge, and the tailpiece is moved closer to the bridge to prevent string jumping. I believe the trem has a screw-in arm, too, whereas all the others have a push-in collet design. The fact that they're moved back also eliminates the sympathetic resonance you get from strings behind the bridge on other series. the CP Jags with humbuckers are wired up very differently from an ordinary Jag, with the thumbwheels acting to roll the pickups between singles and hums by adjusting the volume of only one coil of each pickup. The CP JMs have pickups built like P90s as opposed to the traditional JM singles.

• Members

In the main they don't breakdown anymore

The pick of the bunch is the XFR

jaguar-xfr.jpg

But the creme is the XKR

jaguar-xkrs1.jpg

The old ones were great drivers when properly maintained. But once they were allowed to fall out of tolerance, they were impossible to dial in again and become less reliable. It short, they were great until they broke, then they were done for.

The XKR, of course, isn't a real Jag but a Aston Martin with different sheet metal. Since Jaq was sold off from under Ford umbrella (to TATA in India, along with Land Rover), I would guess the Aston Martin designed crossovers will come to an end. Still the XKR is a great way to save tens of thousands on a DB9.

As for guitars, the 24" scale is a deal-breaker for me.

• Moderators

The XKR, of course, isn't a real Jag but a Aston Martin with different sheet metal. Since Jaq was sold off from under Ford umbrella (to TATA in India, along with Land Rover), I would guess the Aston Martin designed crossovers will come to an end. Still the XKR is a great way to save tens of thousands on a DB9.

Hmm, not entirely corrcet Wyatt.

the original XK was based on the XJS, as was the DB7

The new XK, the X150 was designed by Ian Callum who is still at Jaguar and who was also responsible for part of the initial design of the DB9 and Vanquish.

If anything you'll see Jaguar start to outstrip Aston Martin over the next few years as long as Callum remains at Jaguar.

• Members

Hmm, not entirely corrcet Wyatt.

the original XK was based on the XJS, as was the DB7

The new XK, the X150 was designed by Ian Callum who is still at Jaguar and who was also responsible for part of the initial design of the DB9 and Vanquish.

If anything you'll see Jaguar start to outstrip Aston Martin over the next few years as long as Callum remains at Jaguar.

Well, thinking about it, Fisker's not as Ford anymore either.

• Members
Really? What's he up to?

Going into the Electric Vehicle business. Got in a huge tiff with Telsa over it, Tesla was claiming that Fiskar Coachbuild sold them a flawed design for the Model S and held back on the best ideas for the Fiskar Karma. Telsa quit the suite, but to me all they did was admit his car was better. next up is some electric sedan (NINA) that will be the first car Fiskar Automotive builds themselves.

BTW, having worked for the energy industry at one time, the whole EV in the US concept is a nightmare waiting to happen. The energy grid is already over-stressed and people have no clue how much their power bill is going up when their neighbors start plugging their cars in. Not to mention the dependency on rare metals for the lithium batteries.

Fisker Karma
800px-Fisker_Karma.JPG

• Members

jaguar.jpg

The jaguar (Panthera onca) is a big cat, a feline in the Panthera genus, and is the only Panthera species found in the Americas. The jaguar is the third-largest feline after the tiger and the lion, and the largest and most powerful feline in the Western Hemisphere. The jaguar's present range extends from Mexico across much of Central America and south to Paraguay and northern Argentina. Apart from a known and possibly breeding population in Arizona (southeast of Tucson), the cat has largely been extirpated from the United States since the early 1900s.

This spotted cat most closely resembles the leopard physically, although it is usually larger and of sturdier build and its behavioral and habitat characteristics are closer to those of the tiger. While dense rainforest is its preferred habitat, the jaguar will range across a variety of forested and open terrain. It is strongly associated with the presence of water and is notable, along with the tiger, as a feline that enjoys swimming. The jaguar is a largely solitary, stalk-and-ambush predator, and is opportunistic in prey selection. It is also an apex and keystone predator, playing an important role in stabilizing ecosystems and regulating the populations of prey species. The jaguar has an exceptionally powerful bite, even relative to the other big cats.[3] This allows it to pierce the shells of armoured reptiles[4] and to employ an unusual killing method: it bites directly through the skull of prey between the ears to deliver a fatal bite to the brain.[5]

The jaguar is a near threatened species and its numbers are declining. Threats include habitat loss and fragmentation. While international trade in jaguars or their parts is prohibited, the cat is still regularly killed by humans, particularly in conflicts with ranchers and farmers in South America. Although reduced, its range remains large; given its historical distribution, the jaguar has featured prominently in the mythology of numerous indigenous American cultures, including that of the Maya and Aztec.

• Members

Others have summed up the differences between the models, as well as the good and bad things about the various Fender offsets, so I won't go through all of that. They are all a little quirky, but in good ways, IMO.

I have a Jazzmaster, Jaguar and Mustang so I'm a bit biased, but I love them all!

Here's my 1966 Jazzmaster

IMG_3308.jpg

And my 1965 Jaguar:

IMG_3021.jpg

And here's my "parts Mustang" with a 1966 body and neck. I'm going to be refinishing this one in surf green if I can ever find the time.

IMG_3247.jpg

Archived