Fender silverface Bassman...

metalheadUK

• Members

I noticed my local shop has an old looking silverface bassman head...well used.

I tried out a reissue tweed bassman a couple of years back and I loved it, but that was a combo, this is just the head.

Have they done a reissue silverface bassman, or is it an old one?

It didn't have a price on it, and I'm scared to ask, as my finances are in ruins as it is, but {censored}, an old looking bassman head!

If it's still there next time I'm in, I'm gonna ask how much! :D

:thu:

• Members

Fender has never re-issued the silver face bassman amps, so it is probably original. I wouldn't be surprised if it was bargain priced. Silver face fenders have yet to command the premium of the blackface or tweed amps. Silverface bassmans are often really cheap as fender made lots of different circuits that were called bassman, some of which were exactly the same as the older variants, and are amazing guitar amps...and some which are mediocre. They never managed to capture the heart of a lot of guitar players like the old tweeds or blackface models. If you know what you are looking for, you can get a great sounding amp on the cheap. People debate the relative circuits, but I've played an AB165 and an AB864....and they were great. These are both 'early' silverface circuits that are basically identical to the blackface amps. They are great guitar amps. You can score a silver face variant of these around here for 500 bucks if you wait long enough. Some of the later circuits can sound good, but the earlier ones are generally thought to be better sounding. Tone is very subjective, of course, so YMMV. The later super bassman silverfaces are generally considered to be the worst sounding.

• Members

I agree the models without the numbers are more desirable. After that CBS really started making massive changes and the subsequent amps are often perceived as sterile and far less desirable. Not that they can't sound great or can't be modded to the same -- Fender forgot to remove the wired negative feedback loop (NFB) when they went to ultralinear transformers, which have internal NFB already, the redundancy adds to their sterile, stiff tone.

Anyway, IN THE STATES, it shouldn't be priced much over $500, the Fender heads haven't skyrocketed like the combos...you can even find Blackface Bassman heads for $500-600 sometimes, and Blondes for around $1,000. If it's a Bassman 50 or 100, I would probably walk away it it's over $350-375. But also figure many (most?) vintage amps need some TLC...new filter cabs, new tubes, etc. that can add to the cost. I really can't make comparisons to British prices, I know older Fender amps can command much more than just the exchange rate over there.

• Members

I have a Silverface Bassman 100. The innards are different than a blackface.... doesn't matter a damn to me. The sound's the thing, and that beast sounds incredible. Alas, it will have to go as I don't gig and it's just too damn loud for my wee flat.

• Members

I picked up a Bassman Ten a few weeks ago. Yes, ultralinear OT. I've never played the "Real" Bassman, and I well could be toanz deaf, but I love this one.

If you don't want to buy it, I strongly urge you to not go play it. I went to check out this Ten with a very critical attitude, having read how horrible they sound, etc., etc. The minute I plugged into it, I was hooked. And if that one is "better" and you play it, well then, HNAD. :thu:

I agree that the "Number'ds" are downright ass-kicking pedal/mod platforms. I do, however, love plugging straight into mine stock and loud. I guess I just :love: darker Fender amp sounds.

Archived