"It's Just a Thought."

Ralph onion

• Members

Talented musicians are a dime a dozen. Only the top elite tend to be in demand regularly for their musicianship.

For the average musician in a band, you need songs with mass appeal to "make it." So, either you write great songs or pay a songwriter for great material.

Dave Mathews is just one example of an average musician with a below average voice who "made it." He even took the path less traveled building his audience through word of mouth about his live shows. But, he was able to write songs with mass appeal.

Buckethead is just one example of an elite talent who does NOT have material with mass appeal. He'll likely never make it really big with any of his music. But, he's talented enough to have a following and be in demand for his abilities. Even with his weirdness, he'll probably always be able to make a paycheck by playing his guitar. So, on a certain level, he has "made it" and he's known enough by the people who are fans of technical guitar playing.

Maybe, the point of music should be to "play it," rather than to "make it." After all, "making it" comes with plenty of pitfalls and is often fleeting.

I'd much rather be known for making music than playing it. If you write a good song, or cut a great album, it could last for generations after you are dead. Being able to play well is really just a bonus.

Erm... I think.

• Members

I'd much rather be known for making music than playing it. If you write a good song, or cut a great album, it could last for generations after you are dead. Being able to play well is really just a bonus.

Erm... I think.

Well, of course! Me too! But, that isn't in the cards for everyone. Even some of the elite guitar talent will never have their music known by the masses. But, if they can make their living doing what they love to do, why not be happy?

Even among those who make music with mass appeal, very few reach the level of the Beatles with their music. Most music that hits big is quickly forgotten. Only a fraction of the songs that hit big get remembered for long.

• Members

This is why this site is so goddamned important! Thanks for all of the replies. It has been fun.

it's not our fault that your culture regarding music these days is basically that of a old fart that has been in a cave for 50 years with his fingers in his ears.

you're one of those bashers that don't even bother searching. to you, by definition, everything new sucks. there was a band called The Beatles, then there was one called Led Zeppelin, then there was one called Black Sabbath, then there was one called Queen. ok, those were great, but music has moved on from there, there are different things that are just as good right now.

• Members

You {censored}ing asshole! Make your posts readable!

maybe not an asshole...

but a 62yearold man who has such a thin life that this is entertainment?

not too many things sadder then a really OLD troll..

go read visit the grandkids... do some voll work at a hospice..

dont drink and spill un readable tripe into the interwaves..

just be man.. :facepalm:

better yet this may be a better idea..

click.

• Members

Imagine what some 63-year old turnip would have said when he heard you first play.

It's music, man; it evolves. The young will make it their own, they'll find new influences, do untraditional things with tradition, and respond to their world with a new voice. Quite a bit of it is really good, really interesting stuff.

Just open your mind, then open your ears.

• Members
maybe not an asshole...

dont drink and spill un readable tripe into the interwaves..

just be man..
:facepalm:

better yet this may be a better idea..

click.

hey steady on, why should you kids have all the fun of drinking and spilling un readable tripe into the interwaves?????????????

It may not be comfortable for you think about but, like sex, the fun of that does not stop when you pass 40. Or 50. Or 60.

And one day you will be grateful for that.;)

• Members

maybe not an asshole...

Hey, you're here. What's that say about your "thin life?"

I don't fault a older guy for posting on HCEG, it's just the condescending "I know more about the music business than the rest of you" attitude I could do without.

• Members

Hey, you're here. What's that say about your "thin life?"

I don't fault a older guy for posting on HCEG, it's just the condescending "I know more about the music business than the rest of you" attitude I could do without.

im not faulting chatting on the board.. im faulting his joy from trolish behavior..

banter bandter bicker bicker bicker. broohaha

ballyhoo

its only talk..

• Members

it's not our fault that your culture regarding music these days is basically that of a old fart that has been in a cave for 50 years with his fingers in his ears.

you're one of those bashers that don't even bother searching. to you, by definition, everything new sucks. there was a band called The Beatles, then there was one called Led Zeppelin, then there was one called Black Sabbath, then there was one called Queen. ok, those were great, but music has moved on from there,
there are different things that are just as good right now

In rock?I doubt it.In other music that may well be but as far as rock goes, it peaked a long time ago.

• Members

Road Kill. I am in love with you. You expressed my thoughts about me and my guitar better than I can. I still write and I cant keep my hands off of my guitars. I love music, it is the sound track of my life. My post got you to write something in here, mission accomplished whether you agree with me or not. But I still proclaim that the best music in America will never be recorded or listened to. I am not talking about cover bands, but musicians who write their own {censored}. Thank God for this forum. You go girl go!

Why dont you pop a {censored}in Enzyte and STFU you bitter old bastard!!!

Archived