Modeler with powered speaker/keys amp/etc...

CoqBelliqueux

• Members

Whether it's Tech 21, Boss GT, Line 6 or whatever else, I want to know what you plug into. I got the Roland as a trade because I wanted to get rid of something before my move, but now I'd like to find something more appropriate.

I need your detailed input.

EON10__G2b.jpg

• Members

You're just looking to use the speaker as a full range guitar amp? Might consider speaking with the dudes over in live production. But they'll likely tell you to spend more than 199$.

Yes, other forums! :idea:

The Tech 21 pedals I use emulate the full amp including its speakers, it's not meant to be plugged into a guitar amp, that's why. I can tell the Roland doesn't handle the lows of the California, it ends up sounding a bit like a fuzz instead of a Rectifier.

• Members

Yes, other forums!
:idea:

The Tech 21 pedals I use emulate the full amp including its speakers, it's not meant to be plugged into a guitar amp, that's why. I can tell the Roland doesn't handle the lows of the California, it ends up sounding a bit like a fuzz instead of a Rectifier.

That's exactly why I use my hifi. I think you will find that the speakers you are looking at will not give you as much low end as you'd expect/hope for. They tend to sound "lean".

I used to have a pair of Yamaha studio monitors that I used with the modeller, but found that the hifi sounds better. Studio monitors take some getting used to - they are voiced to be completely flat, dynamics are more pronounced and they don't necessarily interact well with a "normal" room. They are afterall designed so you can hear the problems in unmastered recordings in a controlled environment, not to hear stuff at its best.

• Members

That's exactly why I use my hifi. I think you will find that the speakers you are looking at will not give you as much low end as you'd expect/hope for. They tend to sound "lean".

I used to have a pair of Yamaha studio monitors that I used with the modeller, but found that the hifi sounds better. Studio monitors take some getting used to - they are voiced to be completely flat, dynamics are more pronounced and they don't necessarily interact well with a "normal" room. They are afterall designed so you can hear the problems in unmastered recordings in a controlled environment, not to hear stuff at its best.

Oh, so we're not talking about the same thing, then. :facepalm: I thought hi-fi, keys amp, monitors and powered speakers covered the same range.

"runs away to hide in a damp cave"

• Members

I user my XTL into a Tech 21 Power engine 60. Been doing that for 5 years now. sounds as bout as good as can possibly be though. Had the Tech 21 GT2 pedal as well and used that as the preamp for the PE60, and it sounded good too.

• Members

I use a Yamaha StagPas it works pretty well for the combination of guitar modelling and playing back recorded music and I have an Atomic Reactor 112/18 which works really well for guitar modelling to get that playing through an amp in the room feel but I'm always looking for something better. My search has me watching the Fractal Audio AxeFX "Amps and Cabs" forum a lot because they have done a lot of testing in the real world.

Right now I'm leaning toward a pair of QSC K series powered monitors probably 10 inch....but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. The problem with studio monitors for me was they are too directional, I want to be able to move around and not loose the highs. I don't want to have to sit still with my head in the sweet spot like an engineer at the mixing desk....

• Members

I use a
it works pretty well for the combination of guitar modelling and playing back recorded music and I have an Atomic Reactor 112/18 which works really well for guitar modelling to get that playing through an amp in the room feel but I'm always looking for something better. My search has me watching the Fractal Audio
a lot because they have done a lot of testing in the real world.

Right now I'm leaning toward a pair of QSC K series powered monitors probably 10 inch....but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. The problem with studio monitors for me was they are too directional, I want to be able to move around and not loose the highs. I don't want to have to sit still with my head in the sweet spot like an engineer at the mixing desk....

The K10's (or 12's) would absolutely be my pick for this application. Don't know what the OP has for a budget though.

• Members

These do the same thing the JBL Eon powered monitor does -- except they look like a guitar amp speaker cabinet. They don't weigh very much either.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/powerengine/powerengine60.html

569322.jpg569321.jpg

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tech-21-Power-Engine-60?sku=600454

http://www.drumza.com/product/Tech-21-Power-Engine-60-Standard.html

• Members

Various things work well. Powered PA like above (I have a Mackie SRM350), keyboard/acoustic amp (I have a Peavey KB/A-30), even a bass amp (which are more full-range than you might suspect) in a pinch. My POD X3 sounds like a dream into the FX return of my old Mesa Studio .22 Plus amp.

• Members

The K10's (or 12's) would absolutely be my pick for this application. Don't know what the OP has for a budget though.

I'm leaning towards the QSC K8, partly because of the lighter weight but also because of the wider dispersal pattern. I think it really depends on how big a room you're panning to use them in. For a smaller room or playing at home, I think the K8 is probably a better choice. For a larger venue where you need to reach the back of the room, then I thin the K10 or K12 is the better choice. All that being said the K10 and J12 do have one huge advantage over the K8: they're designed to double as wedge style floor monitors whereas the K8 can only be used in an upright position.

Archived