Video review: Jim Soloway Gosling

• Members

A video review of the Soloway Gosling. What a stunning guitar. Everything on it is perfect from tone, craftsmanship, woods, accessories, balance and comfort. A complete homerun of a guitar. I cannot wait to be able to commission Jim to build me one to my specs.

The top is unbelievable: a one-piece flamed and spalted maple. Wow. Never seen anything so unique. and I

• Members

bad ass looking guitar and great review. If I had me some bonus $$$$$$ I'd be grabbing one for certain!

I'm just need to find a freelance job to fund it. Last couple and any that are coming up in the next few months are funding some renovations on my house.

I'm glad you got to review a Soloway, Dave. I wasn't making video tapes back when I had one of the Swans at my house, unfortunately. But that was a sweet sweet guitar and propelled Jim into the top spot of favorite luthiers!! Excellent review!

Soloway12.jpg

Here's the Swan and I doing some blues.

http://hcbts.arkay.de/frets99/Swan%20Demo%20distortion%20with%20blues%20BT.mp3

• Members

I wouldn't worry about the chops... we all deserve the most beautiful guitars we can afford, not matter what
:)

To me it's kind of like seeing someone have a Ferrari that can't drive...its a waste.

One of those Soloways would exceed my entire collection (amps pedals and all). Not that they aren't worth it but it is hard for me to justify that at my level. I have nice guitars that I'm happy with but to have a guitar like that I would want to be able to appreciate it. I'm not sure I would.

Nevertheless perhaps one day :love:

• Members

Jim,

With the 27" scale models, can one tune down (or, even, tune up with lighter gauge strings)?

Also, have you ever considered creating a model with a piezo bridge?

The guitar that Dave used in the video is actually a 25.5" scale length. That's the difference between the Swan (27") and the Gosling (25.5").

With the Swan, you can certainly tune down and maintain tension and clarity. I often tune to C# using 11's and there are a few people tuning them down as low as B. Tuning up might be a bit of a problem, even with lighter strings.

We've done a few guitars with a piezo bridge. I'm not crazy about them but we will do it on request as an option.

• Members

The guitar that Dave used in the video is actually a 25.5" scale length. That's the difference between the Swan (27") and the Gosling (25.5").

With the Swan, you can certainly tune down and maintain tension and clarity. I often tune to C# using 11's and there are a few people tuning them down as low as B. Tuning up might be a bit of a problem, even with lighter strings.

We've done a few guitars with a piezo bridge. I'm not crazy about them but we will do it on request as an option.

Jim, thank you.

Do you have a specific piezo that you prefer (all things being relative)? (Fishman?) ( Baggs?)?

And what are your feelings about a zero fret?

• Members

Jim, thank you.

Do you have a specific piezo that you prefer (all things being relative)? (Fishman?) ( Baggs?)?

And what are your feelings about a zero fret?

It depend on whether it's for a trem or hard tail. For a trem, we used the Fishman and it worked out fairly well and it's a pretty good trem. For a hard tail, I'd probably go with a Graph Tech Ghost.

As for a Zero fret, I've tried several guitars that have them and my feelings were mixed. I don't think I'd want to put one on one of our guitars though.

EDIT: And about the prices .... It's very much a function of how few guitars we're able to build and sell and sometimes it does feel like a bit of a trap. I'd love to be able to bring the price down by quite a bit but the only way we'd be able to do that is by going producing a LOT more guitars. We'd probably have to cut a few corners as well, but I think the corners could be small enough to still produce a great guitar. I'm honestly just not sure how to get from here to there.

Archived