Are you a Floyd Rose Fan

timesquare

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yes.....been using them since 1982, and i had the very first FLOYD that Kramer shipped to Florida :love:

if you LOVE your floyd, then you gotta check out Adam's upgrade parts, floydupgrades.com

i love the floyd rose. it was the best locking trem ever made, and still REIGNS SUPREME :love:

• Members
a pic for reference (thanks Mazi)

Fotoflame_RED_FR_Strat_004.jpg

BILL EDWARDS Finger Tite Locking nut!

those are THE BEST.....if you can find one of the originals made by Bill.

i have been friend with Bill since 1981, and used to hang out at his shop all the time. i was there when he designed the FTLN, and wacthed in horror as he got ripped off by Kramer, Kahler, etc....

the FTLN is an amazing device, and i have been trying to talk Bill into licensing the design to Adam at Floydupgrades.com -- so that Adam can make them available again.

this was my "green monster" guitar that Bill built for me back in 85 or so......Kramer Pacer body, custom Warmoth neck that Bill shaved and modded for me, and you can see the FTLN on that guitar.

i miss the 80s :love:

kramer80s.jpg

• Members

I don't use the trem a whole lot but I'm a FR fan. They can be aggravating at times but I like them. I have a Floyd on my Strat and like it even more now that I installed a Trem-Setter. It takes care of some of the stability issues that bother me with the Floyd. No more string flutter or sag and no tuning issues when palm muting. I'll always have at least one guitar with a Floyd.

• Members

I like them, I have no problem with them.

What's your take on them?

next gen, copied by many, never improved on, old school trems and ancient fixed bridges were good also but the OFR was a beautiful bomb and nothing else will touch it for a technology breakthrough.

If ya don't get it or cannot comprehend don't hate, just go yer own way. Just cuz you can't figure out my guitars doesn't mean I can't crank on your's

• Members

My Charvel has a Schaller Floyd on it and the way it stays in tune is uncanny.

I heard all these horror stories about Floyds before I got a fiddle with one and

they're just not true. If you're reasonably good with mechanical stuff , they're

pretty easy to set up....

• Members

I heard all these horror stories about Floyds before I got a fiddle with one and they're just not true.

It amazes me how some people can't figure them out. Then they tell horror stories about them......to which I only hear "I'm too stupid to figure a Floyd out".

• Members

Almost all my guitars have them. Hell, I have guitars that have holes where Floyds are spozta be, but have been raped to resurrect other Floyds.

Live I do a lot of Drop-D and back, so with the d-tuna you have to block off the pull-up, which adds a lot to the stability of the tuning, bending, etc...but it sort of renders the bar useless unless your playing Beat It, Panama or Walk. :p but, I manage to fit about 79 tasteless dive-bombs in every song, so ...yeah.

• Members

I do love a nicely setup Floyd but as of the last few years I just find them uncomfortable and use them rarely if at all.
I also have a Bitch of a time setting them up as well(generally 2-4 hours :facepalm:) which also leads too my somewhat distaste for them these days.
I still love the Gillis warbles and the EVH dives just I dont pull them off any more.

• Members

I hate them for 2 reasons:

-String changes. The need for wrenches is unnecessary. Yamaha's system on the Wes Borland Signature looks to be an improvement.

-Going sharp while palm muting

I prefer the trem on my PRS SE. It works fine and stays in tune.

Archived