wireless

boonestunes

• Members

The Line6 ones work well, and if you can find them the Sennheiser Digitals are great (what I use). The problem with most of the wireless units you find used (and some new) is that the frequencies they're on will be illegal to use next month. Whatever you get, just avoid those - using them can get you into some serious {censored}.

• Members

I'd been using a sennheiser freeport for several months. About a month ago I decided to order one of the new Line 6 G30 Relay units. All I can say is that imo, this is by far the best wireless available for the average working musician. There is zero noticeable change in tone, which there was with my sennheiser. There are no gain controls or squelch controls or level controls to futz with. It's just plug n play. It would take me hours to get my sennheiser levels set up right and even then it would still not be the same level as when using a cable. It was either too loud which would cause some analog distortion in my signal or too soft which would make my guitar sound weak. I always felt like my tone was being robbed somehow.

The line 6 is 100% transparent to my ears.

Plus, it uses AA batteries instead of 9v like most other wireless units. They last just as long and are way cheaper.

Honestly, in that price range I wouldn't even bother looking at any other wireless units. Just get the line 6 and you're good to go. I wish I would have gotten it instead of the sennheiser back when I was looking for a wireless. Would have saved myself the money I paid for the sennheiser, which btw is for sale if anyone's interested! :cool:

• Members

cool. so you got the G30 and not the pricier version and still dig it. your comments are the same as the review in MF, not that I trust those guys that much, but sounds like the consensus. Guess I'll save up for another month and just get a new one of those rather than taking a gamble on a used wireless....

thanks fellas.

• Members

cool. so you got the G30 and not the pricier version and still dig it. your comments are the same as the review in MF, not that I trust those guys that much, but sounds like the consensus. Guess I'll save up for another month and just get a new one of those rather than taking a gamble on a used wireless....

thanks fellas.

yeah, the difference between the G30 and the next model up is the range. The G30 is rated at 100 feet. The next one up goes to 200 feet. I play small rooms, bars, etc...and cant' see ever being more than 100 feet from the stage. Once in a while I'll go walk around the place while playing something like la grange but even in the biggest venues I play I'm always well within 100 feet.

btw, in a direct line of sight I've actually managed to go a little farther than 100 feet without losing signal. I did this during soundcheck just to test it. If I were to go out that far during a gig, the rest of the band would probably get pissed off at me if they lost me in the crowd and couldn't see me.

But, if you think you'll need more range than 100 feet then save up the extra $$ for the next model up. Sound-wise though they are identical.

• Members

that's everything in the 700's right?

Was looking at the new Line 6 relay series.....

do all the digital ones miss the govt ban?

what models of sennheiser? receiver small enough to fit on my pedalboard?

The 700's are out, there are limitations on other freqs. The 900 Mhz units are safe.

The Senn Digitals are half-space 1U rack mount sized. A plus: internal antennas, external remotes available (but expensive). I could cover Giants Stadium from the booth with with those.

A historical side note: the first digital wireless was the Xwire. The first wireless that could cover bass tones, with secure transmission, and a logical alternative to interference (silence as opposed to noise/nonsense). Expensive, and a maintenance nightmare - but every broadcasting service used them. Sennheiser bought them out, and revamped it into the Digital 1000 series. Smaller, more reliable, same functionality.

• Members

I have a sennheiser, cant look at it at the moment because I am deployed but my question is will we be able to change the freq's ? an how the hell are they going to catch us using them if they are on a freq that is suddenly verboten?

• Members

I have a sennheiser, cant look at it at the moment because I am deployed but my question is will we be able to change the freq's ? an how the hell are they going to catch us using them if they are on a freq that is suddenly verboten?

For all practical purpose you can't change the frequencies. The "real" manufacturers have an exchange program, but it's based on MSRP pricing so it's going to cost you.

The "catching" thing: The rules have changed. It used to be when there was interference, the local FCC office would have to investigate, and file charges. They were horribly understaffed, so for these kind of things it just didn't happen. Now this falls under "Homeland Insecurity", and if there is a complaint local officials can take action immediately- IE the PD, Sheriff, Marshall's office. They will do so because there's $2500 minimum (fine) in it for them/their jurisdiction. And GFB you actually interfered with a real "call".

• Members

anyone heard of the Brace digital wireless? saw them online last night....

yes. I looked closely at those before I bought the line 6. They are cheaper but have quite a few drawbacks. First, the receiver is battery powered so you'll either need double the batteries or you can buy a special AC adapter for it which is not included. The line 6's receiver runs off a regular AC adapter which is included.

Also, the Brace's transmitter looks like it's quite a bit bulkier than the line 6. Also, the line 6 uses a standard 1/4" cable. The brace uses one of those annoying 1/8" cables that are a pain in the ass. Also, the frequency range is better on the line 6.

Overall I felt that the line 6 was easily worth the extra $$$. If the line 6 isn't within your budget, the brace is a decent alternative for a digital wireless but be aware that you'll either need to spend the extra $$ for the AC adapter (I think it's about 30 bucks but don't quote me on that), or you'll end up using double the amount of batteries. I dont' remember what kind of batteries the brace uses but if they're 9v, remember that those are a lot more expensive than the AA batteries the line 6 uses.

Archived