Tele Build Questions.

Zledi

• Members

I would post this in the DIY but it is pretty slow and dead over there.

Anyways, I am new here and I am going to be building a Tele. I got the body and neck from GFS and a oarts kit from WD Music. It has Kent Armstrong pups and Vintage Style Kluson tuners. It all dry fits together perfectly and looks really solid.

I just need some answers to questions like;

Where can I find a good guide to Tru-Oil finishing? I know Quarter has done some amazing Tru Oil finishes.

Can anyone tell me about drilling the holes in the neck heel and for the strap buttons?

And is there any specific height for how high the fretboard should be above the body? It just seems kind of high to me.

I realise these are simple questions I just want to make sure I get them right.

• Members

I am in a similar situation, although mine already plays (and how..). So you might need to take this with a grain of salt.. :)

And is there any specific height for how high the fretboard should be above the body? It just seems kind of high to me.

.29 in on my strat, .236 in on my tele... something in the middle is probably ideal.

• Members

I would post this in the DIY but it is pretty slow and dead over there.

Anyways, I am new here and I am going to be building a Tele. I got the body and neck from GFS and a oarts kit from WD Music. It has Kent Armstrong pups and Vintage Style Kluson tuners. It all dry fits together perfectly and looks really solid.

I just need some answers to questions like;

Where can I find a good guide to Tru-Oil finishing? I know Quarter has done some amazing Tru Oil finishes.

Can anyone tell me about drilling the holes in the neck heel and for the strap buttons?

I realise these are simple questions I just want to make sure I get them right.

Higher is better... The rest is simple stuff.. Look on line. You find out which way you prefer to finish. As far as the Buttons. Center the back one and do the same on the upper front horn. Make sure you drill the correct hole diameter and put a little soap on the screw threads before you screw them in.

• Members

Pekelnik,

With the finishing could you tell me, the progression of grits before putting the oil on and then which grits inbewtween? Just so I have a basic howto for finishing. Because I know its pretty simple.

There are holes in the body, just not the neck. So I need to drill those. Is there a recommended depth for the holes in the neck?

.236 inches?

Also a basic wiring diagram would be nice. None of this came with instructions. (I know, I'm crazy. But I have read tons of build threads and am confident in my knowledge/skills to get me by.)

• Members

Pekelnik,

With the finishing could you tell me, the progression of grits before putting the oil on and then which grits inbewtween? Just so I have a basic howto for finishing. Because I know its pretty simple.

There are holes in the body, just not the neck. So I need to drill those. Is there a recommended depth for the holes in the neck?

.236 inches?

Also a basic wiring diagram would be nice. None of this came with instructions. (I know, I'm crazy. But I have read tons of build threads and am confident in my knowledge/skills to get me by.)

I do the bare wood down fron 150, 300 then 500 grit. As for the Tru-oil I use 0000 grade steelwool . Very lightly just enough to remove the sheen.

Every 2 coats.

• Members

Well, I tried getting them on here but it didn't work at all. Help?

Thanks, I was pretty sure they would at least get me by based on reviews. I went with the parts from WD because of the pups and tuners.

• Members

I got photos working now. So here they are.

Very rough cut of the headstock

4585827462_484e1569a5.jpg

Body sanded. Swamp ash from GFS

4585204391_b59389ee9f.jpg

Everything dry fit.

4585180815_a08f219945.jpg

Maple neck from GFS.

4579523036_7bd459a8af.jpg

Rosewood fretboard.

4577382752_84caec0940.jpg

Archived