Tone Pot: Linear or Audio Taper?

datru

• Members

The OP had it correct:cop:

However in general most modders use taper for vol and tone

Open up your control cavity and look at the pot markings. They almost always have an "A" or "B" prefix or suffix. "A"=audio taper, "B"=linear taper.

• Members

Open up your control cavity and look at the pot markings. They almost always have an "A" or "B" prefix or suffix. "A"=audio taper, "B"=linear taper.

Actually, sometimes they are marked the other way around, for some very obscure reason. It's certainly not a reliable indicator. Stupid, I know.

• Members

Actually, sorry, that's not quite right.

The old marking scheme was A=Linear, C=Log.

At some point, the standard became B=Linear, A=log.

And both standards are still in fairly wide use. Helpful, eh?

A few manufacturers do the sensible thing and avoid this whole cluster{censored} by marking them LIN and LOG, but I've only seen that very rarely.

• Members

Actually, sometimes they are marked the other way around, for some very obscure reason. It's certainly not a reliable indicator. Stupid, I know.

There are different component identifications. However, in the past few decades if the A or B identifiers are used they have been consistent. I have / had a lot of gear - all have been consistent in the usage "when stock".

There's another deal to the discusion, more technical. The volume control, certainly with passive circuits, should be linear. Going from 10 to 9 should be a 10% reduction, not 26%. The tone control is a different deal. It works as a combination of resistance (the pot) and capacitance (that pesky cap). That is not a linear function and using a audio taper pot gives a smoother response curve.

Having said that, sometimes designers use a different approach if they're dealing with active preamps. Usually just on the volume control. But it's still a case of going out of their way just to "different".

• Members
I accidentally used a linear taper for the tone control on my Ibanez RG and it really didn't work. It was full-on from 2-10, and totally muddy at 1.

I purposely did the same thing after reading an article discussing the merits of linear controlled tone. Same result...an $8 mistake. :facepalm:

• Members

Where in the world can you find the mini CTS audio taper pots? I have looked a few places with no success. It would be handy for a few of my guitars where the manufacturer has placed the pot very close to the inner wall of the control cavity (for example, this was true for a Carvin DC127 I had).

• Moderators

Where in the world can you find the mini CTS audio taper pots? I have looked a few places with no success. It would be handy for a few of my guitars where the manufacturer has placed the pot very close to the inner wall of the control cavity (for example, this was true for a Carvin DC127 I had).

Allparts or their resellers

http://www.allparts.com/500K-Pots-s/20.htm

Archived