NGD not very happy with it

jr_vw2

• Members

so I got my Jackson Kelly in the mail today.

Kelly.jpg

all in all im not impressed with this at all. yes I know its the cheaper india version. But I have another Jackson Inda made that is great.

It needs a new nut or this nut needs shimmed (almosted totally fretted on the low E) The fret ends are so sharp I could only play for about a min and I had to check and make sure my hand wasnt bleeding. I guess with a good fret job new nut new pickups it will be pretty good.....sometimes cheap is expensive.:facepalm:

• Members

If you can take care of those yourself it makes it a cool project guitar for a good price.

I've only had one other guitar I've bought with sharp fret ends so I know what you mean, but it seems to be an epidemic these days. If it's a bolt on it's not that big a job to fix yourself.

The nut issue sucks, but getting a well cut nut in any new guitar is a worthwhile upgrade even on a new guitar so it's not the end of the world. In the meantime you could try shimming it a bit if money is an issue. Just pop it out and put something under the nut itself. Doesn't have to be very big at all (like the edge of a playing card) and you don't have to shim it all the way across, just on the side that's fretting out. It's a temporary measure.

Sorry to hear about the disappointment though.

• Members

so I got my Jackson Kelly in the mail today.

Kelly.jpg

all in all im not impressed with this at all. yes I know its the cheaper india version. But I have another Jackson Inda made that is great.

It needs a new nut or this nut needs shimmed (almosted totally fretted on the low E) The fret ends are so sharp I could only play for about a min and I had to check and make sure my hand wasnt bleeding. I guess with a good fret job new nut new pickups it will be pretty good.....sometimes cheap is expensive.
:facepalm:

Do you not have the option to return it?

• Members

Are you 100% positive that it's the nut?

What is the string doing?

Is it just fretting out on the first few frets?

If that's the case, the truss rod could be too tight.

How big is the gap between the bottom of the string(s) and the top of the crown of the very first fret? More then 1/16 of and inch, less then 18th?

• Members

Dude, get your mod head on, or go and see a good tech. All of that can be fixed for cheap. You've got a golden opportunity to turn a low cost guitar into a serious badass.

I get the initial disappointment, but it looks {censored}ing great, does it not? All it needs is for you to show it some love. Plus, when you get it how you want, it's like a bonus NGD.

• Members

I don't want to knock Jackson too hard for the budget stuff, as it is, well, budget. And I haven't played many examples. But seriously, with used prices being what they are you should be able to get used Jackson Japan for the same prices as new from the JS line. I got my Kelly for $217, shipped, and that's with Duncans. Used gear is a friend to your wallet! :thu:

• Members

Are you 100% positive that it's the nut?

What is the string doing?

Is it just fretting out on the first few frets?

If that's the case, the truss rod could be too tight.

How big is the gap between the bottom of the string(s) and the top of the crown of the very first fret? More then 1/16 of and inch, less then 18th?

the Low E isnt totally fretting out. at rest on the first fret it sits less than 1/64th I think I have the truss rod set up pretty good. fretted at 22 and 1 I Can slide a playing card in on the 7th. with the truss rod set I have to set the action to 6/64ths to get rid of fret buzz on the first fret. That is WAY to high for my taste. I think I might shim the nut real quick ad see what happens.

• Members

I think I will be happy with this guitar in the end, I was just dissapointed when i pulled it out of the box. But I think it will be pretty sweet in the end.

I am open to PU ideas. I was thinking sd Blackouts

pickups I have used in the past

JB

EMG

sd Invader

looking to try something new.

• Members

we're in bidness now. Shimmed the nut with a thin piece o plastic. Ran through another quick set up. Got my action down to 3/64th @ the 12th fret (which is how I like it) no buzz on the first 12 frets, i am getting a little buz in the upper register but Im sure with some tweeking I can get it pretty sweet. Dress the fret ends and it will be a great player. The Ergonomics on this body are great.

• Members

we're in bidness now. Shimmed the nut with a thin piece o plastic. Ran through another quick set up. Got my action down to 3/64th @ the 12th fret (which is how I like it) no buzz on the first 12 frets, i am getting a little buz in the upper register but Im sure with some tweeking I can get it pretty sweet. Dress the fret ends and it will be a great player. The Ergonomics on this body are great.

Cool that it's worked out, HNGD!!

Archived