Jay-Z on SNL

fabstrat

• Members

Who was the woman who was singing at the end ?
:eek:

i think alicia keys sings on the studio version, but that was definitely NOT her, unless she grew 5ish inches in her legs and went up a couple sizes in the chest area.

• Members

Dope video, really liked this performance of "Empire State of Mind." Think what you want about Jay-Z but he doesn't half-ass on his band.

Bridget Kelly = definitely would, but thank god she sounded great as well.

• Members

I watched it last night and everything was great about it - except Jay-Z. He sounds horrible, no tone, weak voice, off key and his lyrics are really stupid. The chorus for Empire State of Mind is fantastic, but the rap part really sucks in bad way. The second song where ripped off Forever Young, we had to turn it off HE was so bad. And yes, that chick that sang with him on SNL was great and hot!

He is a mediocre at best talent (and that is being kind) but he does surround himself with great talent. You gotta know that Beyonce is standing backstage just wincing at the quality of his voice lol You know, you used to be able to look to black artists for soul, great groove, great lyrics, emotion - hip hop and rap has killed that for the most part (not totally, you still have great singers and bands but many less than in years past) - throw down a beat and rap over it now. And no, I don't hate all hip hop/rap - I like Chuck D, greatest voice in rap ever. I would love to see a modern Brothers Johnson!

• Members

Didn't watch his performance (was switching back and forth with something on Discovery I am sure).

But I thought that Betty White was fantastic. :thu: To be that age and be able to hang with everyone on the set and still steal the show is pretty impressive IMHO.

• Members

Didn't watch his performance (was switching back and forth with something on Discovery I am sure).

But I thought that Betty White was fantastic.
:thu:
To be that age and be able to hang with everyone on the set and still steal the show is pretty impressive IMHO.

I love her. She was really good on Boston Legal too.

• Members

gotta give him credit, his band always sounds incredible and they killed it on SNL, which is usually were artist go to die (sound wise).

Credit for what? How hard is it to hire a good band and then stand around grunting out

• Members

for me its the total package, hip-hop always had a large entertainment aspect and i think it got lost in the 2000's, and jay-z was one of, if not THE first "big" rapper to bring in a full band into his live act, ticket sales and wake up calls followed. There are TONS of MCs which are going to be thought of as lyrically and artistically better due to their relative obscurity, as with any art form, but I cant think of any that could string together an assortment of that many songs while raising the energy level the whole way and staying entertaining the whole time with a killer band behind them. YOU say its easy, but wheres the other MCs tearing up live sets with full bands in that sort of enviornment?

• Members

Betty White was awesome but I hope they didn't kill her. That ia a LOT for an 88 yo.

And yo Dog Jay Z you were pitchy. And your lyrics suck big time. :facepalm: But he does have a tight band And the pitch hitter for Alicia Keys did great. Do your self a favor some time and google the lyrics to that song. I dare say any grade school kid could do better.

And yo dudes... Say hi to your Mother for me!

Archived