Dunlop Carbon Copy fail!

Jersey Jack

• Members

First, I love the MXR Carbon Copy--it's a really nice delay box, and I can easily get the sounds I want out of it.

BUT: This is the second pedal that failed on me just weeks after purchasing. What happens? It suddenly starts acting like a mute. When I turn the pedal on, there's no sound at all; when I hit it again, my guitar goes through the unit and into the amp and everything is fine--but of course with no delay. :mad:

The first time this happened, it was within 30 days of purchase, so I was able to take it back to Guitar Center and get a new one. This time it lasted about two months, so I'm stuck. I guess the only option is to send it back to Dunlop for repairs.

I'm over this nonsense, however, so I'd rather just get a different pedal and be done with it. I'm not convinced that a repaired or even a new pedal will stay healthyl.

SO: Can anyone recommend another good delay pedal? I use a tele and simply want twangy country sounds.

• Members

Are you using just batteries to power it? If so, that may be your problem, I've noticed the carbon copy goes through batteries really, really fast. To really get the most out of it, you have to use some kind of steady power supply like a one spot, or something.

Otherwise I've never experienced any of these problems with my unit.

• Members

If you're using a power supply, check the voltage with a volt meter to make sure it's not overvolting and damaging the pedal. Most 9v power supplies not geared towards pedals put out anywhere from 8 to 15 volts.

Are you sure that your amps are grounded correctly? Could be some kind of DC offset going through your cable as well.

• Members

Actually, I go back and forth between using batteries (upstairs, for practice) and power supply (downstairs, with the band). The unit just failed on battery power, and then I changed the battery--but nothing. Do you think that it may still run on the power supply?

I'll try it tomorrow, I suppose.

Archived