Help choose the color and design for my future strat

Bitterguy

• Members

• Members

Here's my advice: Buy the best stock guitar that you can afford. Spend the rest of the money on a setup by a *good* guitar tech. Then you can do all of the mods that you want to the guitar, when you get more money. If you build from a budget kit and you've never built or set up a guitar, then you will end up with a mess, or you will spend a whole lot more money paying somebody to get it playing well.

If I've made any bad assumptions, then forget my advice:facepalm:

• Members

what are your goals with this guitar?

do you currently play? is this guitar to learn on?

those kits require quite a bit or "finish" work on them beyond just slaping some paint on it... like stuff involving woodworking abilities..

a lot of the people here have quite a bit of experience putting together good guitars out of various parts and can make some educated recommendations and how you might want to attack your project...

what is your desired end result, what kinda music do you like/play. what do you have as far as tools?

• Members

Here's my advice: Buy the best stock guitar that you can afford. Spend the rest of the money on a setup by a *good* guitar tech. Then you can do all of the mods that you want to the guitar, when you get more money. If you build from a budget kit and you've never built or set up a guitar, then you will end up with a mess, or you will spend a whole lot more money paying somebody to get it playing well.

If I've made any bad assumptions, then forget my advice:facepalm:

I like the buy the best stock guitar you can afford part....but I'd substitute in learn how to set it up yourself and put the money you'll save going forward to whatever mods/upgrades you want.

....depending on what level of results you desire from a build, there are a number of potential unforeseen costs like do you need to buy grain filler, do you have all the tools you'll need to drill/assemble/setup/etc.

I've not built one of these lower budget kits but I really wonder if you're really getting anything over say a comparably/similarly priced Douglas, SX or Xaviere?

• Members

what are your goals with this guitar?

do you currently play? is this guitar to learn on?

those kits require quite a bit or "finish" work on them beyond just slaping some paint on it... like stuff involving woodworking abilities..

a lot of the people here have quite a bit of experience putting together good guitars out of various parts and can make some educated recommendations and how you might want to attack your project...

what is your desired end result, what kinda music do you like/play. what do you have as far as tools?

I currently play.

My dad knows quite a bit about wood working.

I like to play a bunch of heavy stuff like heavy metal and thrash and stuff of the sort.

I have drills, drill bits, mouse sander, hand sander, belt sander jigsaw, table horses, straight edges. soldering iron, screw drivers a paint gun that hooks up to an air compressor (came with our 20-30 gallon air compressor) not fine detail more like painting a large area, thats bout all i have that i think i would need for building a guitar

• Members

I'm thinkin tribal flames :evil: . Make the base color metallic Black use this method

[YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

On a larger scale for my template and whenever i spray the flames i'm going to make them metallic silver.

Opinions, thoughts, ideas?

Archived