MIM Tele or Modded SX?

neatobassman

• Members

I have extreme Tele gas right now. More exact, a tele with a p90 on the neck. So I see these and think I have found a cure for $109

stl50p90stkvwh1.jpg

But I'm reading the specs, and they don't have the same neck profile as a Tele. One of the big parts of me wanting a tele is how they play.

I have a budget of about $300, so do I buy a normal MIM tele, or buy the SX, upgrade the pick-ups and buy a replacement neck that is more to Tele specs?

• Members

I have the SX, which I bought as an experiment to see for myself... it is junk... Yes, it is worth 100 bucks... Still, I am unimpressed... In fact, the body has started to split in several places... I don't believe you will do your tele gas justice by buying that...

• Members

I'm sure this will not be the consensus opinion, but I would take the MIM fender over the upgraded SX any day of the week.

ESPECIALLY if it's the '09 and newer versions, +100 :thu:

The new MIM Teles need no mods out of the box and are just better all the way around. The SX will need serious work before it even approaches the MIM level.

• Members

Second the squier cv.

BUT, I've got 2 SX teles that are *really* nice guitars... however I have replaced pickups, nut, tuners, saddles and electronics on both of them. I love the SX neck profile and fretwork. I also have an SX strat, which I like a lot too. The thing with the sx's is that they randomly come w/some really nice striped maple necks and/or fingerboards. The used ones I bought both had them - the new I bought didn't.

That said, I like mim teles too... but I'm not crazy about the stock pickups in them.

Here is one of my sx teles (with some nice striping on the fingerboard)... I bought it used, for less then $100 delivered to my door:

sxtele01.jpg

sxtele09.jpg

• Members

I think a lot of the MIM components are going to be higher quality than the stock SX stuff, as far as wiring and hardware,but I have an SX Tele and an SX P-bass and I would not hesitate to gig either of them stock.

I've played and owned some great MIMs, but the thing that pushed me towards the SX is the neck.

All other elements aside, I vastly prefer the necks on the SX stuff to just about anything Fender/Squier has had on offer the past couple of decades.

But that's just personal preference. I like the chunkiness of their necks and the jumbo frets.

Archived