Steve Jones appreciation...

metalheadUK

• Members

Just sitting here watching "classic albums- never mind the bollocks" and am reminded about what an awesome guitarist Steve Jones was...stripped down, tight and powerful.

What a {censored}ing GREAT band the Sex Pistols were/are.

"Never mind the bollocks" one of the greatest rock albums ever?

Too {censored}in' right!

:thu:

• Members

SEx%20Pistols%20use%20this%20one%20resiz

Sex Pistols is one of those few bands where I can still remember exactly when and where I was when I first heard them. The first song I heard was Holidays in the sun. from that first guitar chord, I knew I liked it.

• Members

Just sitting here watching "classic albums- never mind the bollocks" and am reminded about what an awesome guitarist Steve Jones was...

Bass too-Jones played on the album, and his lack of "mad bass skillz" forced him to just pump 8's in whatever key-change.

Responsible for a lot of the Pistol's vibe.....

• Members

So when did Matlock came in the picture?

Day one-split later. Hired for "Bollocks", never played a note.

Here:

In fact, Matlock did play as a hired hand on 3 March, for what Jon Savage describes as an "audition session".[127] In his autobiography, Lydon claims that Matlock's work-for-hire for his ex-band was extensive, much more so than any other source reports, seemingly to amplify a putdown: "I think I'd rather die than do something like that."[128] Music historian David Howard states unambiguously that Matlock did not perform on any of the Never Mind the Bollocks recording sessions.[129] It was Jones who ultimately played most of the bass parts during the Bollocks recordings; Howard calls his rudimentary, rumbling approach the "explosive missing ingredient" of the Sex Pistols' sound.[129] Vicious' bass is reportedly present on one track that appeared on the original album release, "Bodies". Jones recalls, "He played his farty old bass part and we just let him do it. When he left I dubbed another part on, leaving Sid's down low. I think it might be barely audible on the track."[130] Following "God Save the Queen", two more singles were released from these sessions, "Pretty Vacant" (largely written by Matlock) on 1 July[131] and "Holidays in the Sun" on 14 October.[132] Each was a Top Ten hit.[133]

Archived