Can u recommend a cheap Camera for recording guitar playing..

monto

• Members

hi can anyone recommend a cheap digital camera for recording little movies

my main worry is the sound.. im not too bothered about the picture quality

i hate the idea of just buying any camera and then hoping it records sound ok (bedroom electric guitar playing, not too loud)

any recommendations, and cheap would be nice. just need something basic if possible

• Members

I tried to use the flip but my 50w amp, barley cracked open was clip city....I'm much happier with going direct to my computer with Guitar Rig Mobile (or you could grab the pod studio GX) for $99 bucks.

• Members

I find the Flip series give great picture but you have to keep your volume down. Easy to clip. I use a Canon FS100 and I'm happy with the results.

Not too cheap however.

I think that's pretty common with just about any of the on board camera mics. They are designed to amplify quite room levels like talking, not to record your half stack. I think you'd need to pair the video with an amp miced through an interface to really get a good representative sound.

• Members

The answer for sound is to record to your computer simultaneously and then merge the sound and image. It's not nearly as complicated as it sounds. And I use the video mode on a Canon SD780 IS point-and-shoot camera. It does a fine job and it's reasonably priced.

• Members

The answer for sound is to record to your computer simultaneously and then merge the sound and image. It's not nearly as complicated as it sounds. And I use the video mode on a Canon SD780 IS point-and-shoot camera. It does a fine job and it's reasonably priced.

What's a good free program to strip the camera's audio and merge in the miced audio?

• Members

What's a good free program to strip the camera's audio and merge in the miced audio?

I did my first few videos on my old PC using Movie Maker. It's clunky but it's free and it works. I used Kristal for the audio. It's also feee and not at all clunky. I switched to a Mac not long after I started doing videos and I've done all my videos since then using iMovie and Garage Band, both of which work very well and very easily.

• Members

The answer for sound is to record to your computer simultaneously and then merge the sound and image

hmm, im sure when i am watching some of the videos of people playing their guitar on youtube, they are just using a digital camera and doing the sound/video all in one go.

hmm there's got to be something out there reasonably priced which is ok at picking up bedroom level guitar sounds ..

i will look around.... watch this space :p

• Members

hmm, im sure when i am watching some of the videos of people playing their guitar on youtube, they are just using a digital camera and doing the sound/video all in one go.

hmm there's got to be something out there reasonably priced which is ok at picking up bedroom level guitar sounds ..

i will look around.... watch this space
:p

Most of the better videos are not done that way and you can always tell the difference, mostly because the audio quality from a video camera is so bad. If the audio is good, then the odds are overwhelming that it was done the way I've described. And to be certain you understand what I'm saying, there's no trick involved. The performance is real and live. It's just that the audio is recorded to the computer while the video is recorded to the camera.

Here's an example of one of mine done that way. I just don't believe you can get this level of audio from a video camera (unless you have broadcast quality equipment).

• Members

I have that problem. I have a couple of video's up on YT, but they sound like ass because I'm using a Sony CyberShot to record it. Then everyone starts complaining about my tone and telling me it sucks.

• Members

Most of the better videos are not done that way and you can always tell the difference

ok fair point, i had a listen and the quality is excellent yeah

even this quality below would be ok for me, although mind you no idea if hes also doing it your way? not sure really...

[YOUTUBE]IPvcuXAPJHY[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I have that problem. I have a couple of video's up on YT, but they sound like ass because I'm using a Sony CyberShot to record it. Then everyone starts complaining about my tone and telling me it sucks.

yea i hear u, i used to record clips for my brother using my cheap digital camera, but it didnt matter what u play, it just ended up sounding awful (cheap digital ignoring half of the frequencies no doubt...)

• Members

yea i hear u, i used to record clips for my brother using my cheap digital camera, but it didnt matter what u play, it just ended up sounding awful (cheap digital ignoring half of the frequencies no doubt...)

Yup. And it doesn't help that the tone I use for some vids is naturally trebly.

• Members

I would think so. There is a third alternative and he might have used that, but it gets you into more expensive gear: some video camera have a mic input. You can run a high quality mic or even a mixer through that input and it will over ride the internal mic on the camera. Some cameras also have a method of adding an improved mic that draws power direct from the camera. That's the way a broadcast camera works. But again, these generally lead you into much more expensive gear. If you're on a limited budget, then using the method I suggested is by far the best answer and it's not all that hard. You do have to have a way to record direct to computer, But that's not very difficult or very expensive.

• Members

Pocket Video Camera / Black 179/O interface USB 2.0 (high speed), AV out, HDMI, DC in, external microphone jack (support stereo)1080p/720p High Definition 128MB Internal Memory SD/SDHC Card Slot 1/2.5" 5MP CMOS Fixed Focus Lens 2.5" LCD 4x Digital Zoom Image Stabilization 5MP Digital Stills Swing Out USB

That should do it nicely.

• Members

Here is what I have and I've been really impressed with the video and sound on the video. Canon Powershot SD1000. Its just a regular small camera with video... and honestly the pictures are just average. But the video is great (pics are fine too). Simple to use, comes with a USB chord, just plug into a computer after you take your vids. Here they are on ebay, cheap.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/canon%20sd1000?_dmd=1&_sop=12&rvr_id=&keyword=canon+sd1000&crlp=1871808983_9400&MT_ID=475&tt_encode=raw

Archived