anyone have experience with the under-$1k priced G&Ls?

twotimingpete

• Members

presumably these are the ones made in korea or something.

specifically, check this out. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/G&L-ASAT-Classic-Walnut-Finish-Electric-Guitar?sku=502718

as I've mentioned, I've been saving up for a new fender, something $600 - $800 range. been looking at highway ones and american specials primarily.

as I get the cash in hand I start to look at what my options are a bit more carefully, though, and I'm wondering if it's possible that a G&L in this price range would be a pragmatic choice in terms of quality to money. I've often heard that this is true, that G&Ls beat out fenders in the same price brackets, but not had any real experience with midpriced G&Ls myself.

any thoughts?

• Members

Yeah those look like typical used US G&L prices to me. Sometimes I see used ASATs going cheaper for ~$550 or so on ebay.

The Tributes are great-- I had a Bluesboy for a while that was really well made, sounded, played and looked great. $600 is a bit high though-- I bet you could get closer to $400-450 new on ebay or through one of those random sales that Amazon has on these.

• Members

I have had 2 of them and they were very solid and well made. But Mexican Fenders are now days too. Both Tribute series guitars did what they said they would and felt/played very solidly. No bad fret problems, etc.

I just decided I really didn't like their pickups very much. I wanted to, but just didn't. They have some good qualities but... personal pref.

Great, solid guitars.

• Members

Just get MF or Music 123 to knock 20% off and buy your new guitar. Or wait for a sale like that. PRICE might be going at MF still - 15% off purchased of $700 or more. (don't know)

That code is old - there will be something else soon probably.

• Members

I am a previous ASAT owner. One thing to look out for is that if you are looking for this in place of a Fender Tele, it will not do it. This is because of the MFD pickups. People call them high-fi, etc. To me they are the most horrible pickups I have heard, unless you are getting the guitar to play very high-gain stuff. If you end up replacing the pickups, then this more added cost. This is just my opinion. I had a beautiful Tribute that played fantastic and looked unbelievable, but the pickups made me want to cry. I am not one for replacing and tinkering, so I just sold it and bought a Fender Tele.

As others say, used G&L's are not too expensive. You can get one for $700 or less if you wait long enough.

• Members

I have two US G&Ls,a Legacy and an ASAT.

I bought both of them for well under $1000 US used.

I have played several Tribute models and to me there is no doubt that i would buy another used US before any new Tribute model,they just feel that much better to me.

I have found since the introduction of the Tributes models the prices of used US models has increased.

• Members

Unless you are really concerned with getting a new guitar, no reason to get a Tribute when you can find used USA models for very fair prices. The MFD pickups are hit or miss. They don't really sound like a traditional Tele. I can see why people like them - a lot of nice attributes, probably a more versatile pickup overall, but you lose some of the signature Tele sound.

But G&L guitars are build to a very high standard of quality. Extremely good finishwork, stability (tuning and resistance to weather changes etc), high quality hardware. Really great workhorse guitars. I would personally much rather have an ASAT and swap new pickups than a comparably priced Fender.

• Members

I have the G&L Tribute Jerry Cantrell Signature Rampage for 600$. Amazing guitar
:rawk:

DSC00080.jpg

so, waaaaaay OT: is that a HT-20 you're playing through? i'm wanting to pull the trigger but worry about keeping up on an open stage (we practice at a reasonable volume) through a 2x12 or 4x12...what's the verdict? feel free to PM so we don't hijack.

OP - G&L beats Fender at the pricepoints. the Tribute models are better than MIM, Legacy is better than the FSR MIM etc. but if you want a Fender, get one. THEN you'll be happy.

• Members

do standard tele pickguards mount onto an asat?

No. You could get an ASAT Special pickguard to use Tele-sized PU's...or have a custom PG made by any number of companies (expect to pay up to $45 or more).

• Members

so, waaaaaay OT: is that a HT-20 you're playing through? i'm wanting to pull the trigger but worry about keeping up on an open stage (we practice at a reasonable volume) through a 2x12 or 4x12...what's the verdict? feel free to PM so we don't hijack.

I'll just answer it real quick. Its an HT-5H, I used to run it through an 4x12 which is what i would recommend. It sounds fuller and crisper. i've played it through a 1x12, 2x12, and a 4x12 and run it through a 4x12, you'll thank me later. I later sold it to fund a Mesa Rectoverb 50 head. It gigged well for me, just needed something more powerful for practice.

Archived