Ok tips on how to splice pickup wire?

scuzzo

• Members

hey modders out there.. i have some very nice Humbuckers but the leads on them is too short and it looks like i will need to spice up to a nother lead,,

what is the best method of doing this... is there a certain cable i should use..

is shrink rapping necessary or can i just use electrical tape?

kinda new to this whole thing.. looking for advise thats all..

thanks for your help.

chris

• Members

Tape will work but heat shrink is better. It won't come off and it will be easier to thread the lead through any wiring holes in the body.

Get the heat shrink. It's cheap and easy (like my women!)

• Members

If you don't have a solder gun you could just use a small wire nut or even twist them together well and cover all with electrical tape. Knowing how to solder, I would take some very small wire, similar to what is there, and solder the two wires together followed by shrink tape or electrical tape. Should be all you need.

Notice: I am not a professional!

• Members

hey cool thanks for the information... im just wondering on what type wire to use.. i hear that USB cable is great... but perhaps there is a better suggestion... not a problem with solder. only prob i have is pots becuse my iron is so weak.. i need a 40w... i have a 25 for wire..

• Members

I think by far, the best way to join small wire is to tin both ends well, and then just lay the wires against each other and flow the tinned ends. Makes a neat, strong joint, that's extremely easy desolder if you need to. Tape doesn't work well on small wire because it will unwrap - use the heat shrink.

• Members

hey cool thanks for the information... im just wondering on what type wire to use.. i hear that USB cable is great... but perhaps there is a better suggestion... not a problem with solder. only prob i have is pots becuse my iron is so weak.. i need a 40w... i have a 25 for wire..

Your USB is probably fine. If you go to a hardware store you can pick up some small wire like that used for 1. garage opener receivers or 2. underground pet fences etc. All works fine. Or go over to a neighbor's house who has one and cut off 8 inches. :)

I have some small wire specifically for pickups and guitar or effects box wiring I use, but I do it a lot. You would be fine with any of those small wires. Even the antenna from a device that has one of those built in wire ones (just small wire).

• Members

One thing that I like to do is to make the two bare parts different lengths so that they don't overlap. That way if the insulation ever comes apart you aren't as likely to get a short. I also usually bend a hook in them after wrapping and with a quick swipe of the soldering iron you can almost guarantee that it won't pull apart. If I am going for neatness than I'll just lay them beside eachother and wet the joint.

Archived