Tell me about PRS CE models

98 les paul

• Members

The CE necks are maple and the CU necks are mahogany. The CE bolt in neck is the same joint as the CU but uses screws instead of glue.

Depending on the year of the CE the body woods changed.

Alder body- 1988

Alder w/ maple top - 1989-1994

Mahogany w/ maple top- 1995- present

All mahogany- 1995- 2000

• Members

The CE necks are maple and the CU necks are mahogany. The CE bolt in neck is the same joint as the CU but uses screws instead of glue.

Depending on the year of the CE the body woods changed.

Alder body- 1988

Alder w/ maple top - 1989-1994

Mahogany w/ maple top- 1995- present

All mahogany- 1995- 2000

While not a huge seller the CE was available with an alder body w/o the Map Top until 1994. A couple of years ago they also reissued the alder bodied version (sans Map Top), but it only lasted about year before they pulled it again.

Great guitars. Love my '94 CE-22 Cherry sunburst map top.

• Members

I've got a '93 CE24 alder and maple. Love it for just about everything. biggest difference I've heard is that they have a stronger more detailed/articulate attack to the notes but the tones are similar to a CU24 since they share the same pickups.

• Members

While not a huge seller the CE was available with an alder body w/o the Map Top until 1994.

Didn't know that, thanks.

I've owned 5 CE24's. One was all mahogany (one pc. body), one was alder/maple, and 3 were mahogany/maple (including the own I have now).

The best sounding of all of them was a 1996 mahogany/maple.

It was pretty too.

PRSCE242.jpg

• Members

Decent, well made guitars. Easy to play, stay in tune well, good workmanship. I doubt there's a significant difference, if any, between the bolts and set necks. I had a CE-22 and a McCarty and sold both. On paper, they were both great guitars, but I couldn't really get excited about either of them.

• Members

Decent, well made guitars. Easy to play, stay in tune well, good workmanship. I doubt there's a significant difference, if any, between the bolts and set necks. I had a CE-22 and a McCarty and sold both. On paper, they were both great guitars, but I couldn't really get excited about either of them.

How do they do with dive bombs? Can you go down an octave? How well does it stay in tune with minor whammy abuse?

• Members

How do they do with dive bombs? Can you go down an octave? How well does it stay in tune with minor whammy abuse?

I just checked with my CE and it will dive the low E an octave.

If it's set up well, it will stay in tune damn near perfect.

• Members

Are there any differences in the amount of sustain between the two?

If any solidbody electric guitar doesn't sustain long enough for any practical use, then there is something wrong with it. As for as neck joints affecting sustain, that's all hogwash anyway.

I enjoyed my CE24. '93 Maple/Alder (I like the snap of the bright alder better but the mahogany/maple ones are cloeer to CU in tone). Semi-regret selling it (but my '79 Start long displaced it as my #2, so off it went). Two things I thought about it were I hated the PU's (HFS/Bass), they were harsh through vintage style amps (but stayed tight in high gain situations) and I didn't like the placement of the neck PU because of the 24 fret neck. If I ever replaced my CE, it'll be a CE22.

• Members

You can go down an octave and they stay in tune reasonably well. Minor abuse is okay and if you bomb you have a reasonable chance of coming back in tune, but it isn't guaranteed. The only whammy I've used that's 100% reliable is a Floyd.

• Members

You can go down an octave and they stay in tune reasonably well. Minor abuse is okay and if you bomb you have a reasonable chance of coming back in tune, but it isn't guaranteed. The only whammy I've used that's 100% reliable is a Floyd.

Oh yeah, nothing compares to a Floyd as far as tuning stability... also nothing compares to a Floyd when it comes to frustration with getting it set up right, having to unclamp, tune and reclamp during a gig when your guitar warms up etc... :mad::D

I know unclamping isn't a big deal but it annoys me to have to do so. :o

• Members

i have a 1990 alder body w/maple top CE24 with trem

plain jane black...moons...non of the fancy stuff.

love it and will never part with it.

dont really like ceramic pickups so the HFS was out of there. didnt mind hte hfs in the mahagony bodied CU24s, but i dont like finished necks.

DSC03952.jpg

DSC03958.jpg

• Members

Oh yeah, nothing compares to a Floyd as far as tuning stability... also nothing compares to a Floyd when it comes to frustration with getting it set up right, having to unclamp, tune and reclamp during a gig when your guitar warms up etc...
:mad::D

I know unclamping isn't a big deal but it annoys me to have to do so.
:o

I don't get the frustration people have with Floyds. You shouldn't need to unclamp to tune during a gig. Tuning takes a little longer, but once you're there you don't have to think about it again all night.

• Members

I don't get the frustration people have with Floyds. You shouldn't need to unclamp to tune during a gig. Tuning takes a little longer, but once you're there you don't have to think about it again all night.

+1. Or all month!

Archived