Finally got my junker 7 string working.

Furtive

• Members

Last fall I got a 7 string Ibanez Gio for around $110 shipped. Never owned a 7 string before, and wanted to try one out for cheap. For a hundred bucks, it's a decent guitar. Today I finally restrung it - went from regular 56 - 09 up to 68 - 14, using a D'Addario baritone set with an added wound 20 to use as the D string. Tuning is regular E to E with an added low B.

With the heavier strings in place, the guitar really came alive for the first time since I bought it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have been toying with the idea of a seven string for awhile now. Was it worth while for you or just. Meh?

From my perspective it was worth it but totally odd at the beginning.

Having the Low B there mentally screws with everything for the first few days but once you just accept it and start working it as any other string it starts to flow more naturally.

• Members

From my perspective it was worth it but totally odd at the beginning.

Having the Low B there mentally screws with everything for the first few days but once you just accept it and start working it as any other string it starts to flow more naturally.

Yeah I have picked up a few here and there and played them...and i felt like I had a tuba in my hands....I didnt really know what to do.

• Members

Yeah I have picked up a few here and there and played them...and i felt like I had a tuba in my hands....I didnt really know what to do.

indeed... and it is all purely mental and habits... Once you get by that you are good and it is just another guitar again

• Members

I forgot all about this post :lol:

100_3267.jpg

It arrived with a broken headstock. Nothing structural - just a 4 inch long piece on the side opposite the tuners. Glued it back into place, it's hardly noticeable. Some of the frets were colored in with black marker, so I tried staining the fretboard with Minwax ebony stain. It didn't take, but permanent marker did :facepalm:. It also had black speed knobs. Swapped those for a pair of spare strat knobs.

Oh yeah... two letter x's were painted onto the headstock with silver paint. Took a couple hours to remove that, but eventually it all came off. Can't remember if I used paint thinner or naptha. Or if I had adequate ventilation.

Again, this is a true beater - but now it looks better and plays great. I like this body style better than the other Ibanez 7 strings... it's like a super strat.

• Members

I have been toying with the idea of a seven string for awhile now. Was it worth while for you or just. Meh?

For under $125 shipped, I'll buy damn near any guitar that looks appealing to me. Even after the work I had to put into it, it's worth it. I can finally mess with low tunings.

Archived