fender blues jr vs bugera V22

stewiesguitar

• Members

as you might have read my friend is giving me a pretty good price on the fender and for $50 more i can get the bugera.

I have never played the fender but i play the bugera all the time when i go to my local GC and i really like it. both channels sound great to me.

like i said i have never played the fender but i will get a chance to play on this week.

i play blues and classic rock. but sometimes i like to try metallica or coheed and cambria. so i play a bit of everything.

i know about the problems with bugera's pedals and im not too worried about that. i just play at home.

what do you guys think?

• Members

Played a Blues Jnr for a while in a store and was seriously let down. It's clean really isn't the "fender" clean people expect. And it's overdrive doesn't even exist. Seriously. I plugged strats and teles into that thing cranked everything to ten and still it just sounded clean. Even an 80's Les Paul custom (piece of {censored} by the way) wouldn't really break that thing up.

I don't know. You should judge for yourself, cause maybe you might like the sound but me personally? I thought it was {censored}. So many other better 15w tube amp options out there. Crate, Laney, Vox....etc..

• Members

Played a Blues Jnr for a while in a store and was seriously let down. It's clean really isn't the "fender" clean people expect. And it's overdrive doesn't even exist. Seriously. I plugged strats and teles into that thing cranked everything to ten and still it just sounded clean. Even an 80's Les Paul custom (piece of {censored} by the way) wouldn't really break that thing up.

I don't know. You should judge for yourself, cause maybe you might like the sound but me personally? I thought it was {censored}. So many other better 15w tube amp options out there. Crate, Laney, Vox....etc..

I have to agree on that one. I've been using my smaller Crate VC2110 for at home practice with a Tube Screamer to provide my OD channel and EHX Holy Grail Reverb and it sounds awesome. I do have a 10" Eminence Legend Alnico speaker in it as well. I look on ebay and see the same amp going in the $300 range and very few of any of the VC models seem to be out there any more.

• Members

FWIW, the blues jr isn't exactly known for it's clean sound.

They overdrive just fine with my strats, teles and, gasp '81 les paul custom (:cop:). If you're looking for metal level brutalz, nope, that's not your amp - blues, classic rock, it's just fine.

Of course, that's just my opinion, but I did use one gigging in a band for well over a year, maybe 2. There's a reason there are tons of them in use out there.

• Members

no, they are definately boxy. i liked mine until i had problems with a couple tubes - took it to the shop for warranty repair and over 1 month later got it back. :freak: and after an hour or so the same popping/farting sounds came back. :facepalm: so I ebayed it and never looked back.

but there were definately some good tones in there.

DSC04121.JPG

• Members

no, they are definately boxy. i liked mine until i had problems with a couple tubes - took it to the shop for warranty repair and over 1 month later got it back.
:freak:
and after an hour or so the same popping/farting sounds came back.
:facepalm:
so I ebayed it and never looked back.

but there were definately some good tones in there.

DSC04121.JPG

what kind of bridge/tail piece is on that Gibson??

• Members

what kind of bridge/tail piece is on that Gibson??

factory kahler branded "gibson". should have kept that one. it stayed in tune if you didnt do bends. :facepalm: but I should have just put a standard bridge/tp on there. I had it blocked and locked down but it still wouldnt hold tune as good as I hoped it would. one of the best necks on any LP I have ever played.

• Members

I would get the amp that you prefer most. Don't let $50 be the deciding factor. Who cares what anybody else thinks. You're the one that needs to get inspired when you play through the amp. I've heard great clips that were made with both of those amps, so I think you have a win-win scenario either way. :thu:

• Members

FWIW, the blues jr isn't exactly known for it's clean sound.

They overdrive just fine with my strats, teles and, gasp '81 les paul custom (
:cop:
). If you're looking for metal level brutalz, nope, that's not your amp - blues, classic rock, it's just fine.

Of course, that's just my opinion, but I did use one gigging in a band for well over a year, maybe 2. There's a reason there are tons of them in use out there.

I'm not talking metal. I'm just talking a nice warm rock/hard rock sound. Like I said, all I know is what happened when I tried one. Couldn't much break up with single coils and everything dimed. Maybe there was something wrong with the one I tried..i don't know. But I just found it to be a very weak sounding amp in every area.

But yeah the OP should try one himself and make up his own mind. All I know is I would never trade my Crate V15 for one in a million years.

• Members

v22 is really a solid choice IMO. you get a ton of functionality and tone for a really low price.

great, almost fenderly cleans, the built in reverb is better than it gets credit for, and the EQ and mid boost switch are very sensitive. you can carve out a ton of sounds. the drive channel sounds a bit fizzy at low volumes but if you crank it it's really awesome. and every dirt pedal I've tried has LOVED the clean channel.

Archived