Les Paul for a Strat good trade or bad?

fuzztone

• Members

I traded this 1973 Les Paul Deluxe for this 1974 Strat. Do you think that was a good trade or bad?

The reason I traded was because the Les Paul had been stored in a basement by it's original owner and it had acquired a mildew smell that I was unable to remove. The store I bought it from let me bring it back and trade it for the strat.Both were priced the same $1999.

100_8786.jpg

100_8983.jpg

• Members

Bad move:poke::poke:
:cop:

Maybe,but that Les Paul and it's case were so thoroughly contaminated with that mildew smell I couldn't keep it. I asked my luthier friend Ted Vig what to do and he told me that once the mildew gets into the pores of the wood there isn't really much you can do.

• Members

Maybe,but that Les Paul and it's case were so thoroughly contaminated with that mildew smell I couldn't keep it. I asked my luthier friend Ted Vig what to do and he told me that once the mildew gets into the pores of the wood there isn't really much you can do.

google is your friend, i found multiple way to get the smell out of guitars that were stored in basements just like that one was, All of them should have been tried first

• Members

I've heard the same thing.

• Members

I know nitro is porous, and obviously the wood underneath is, but I don't see how given enough time in the open air, maybe left in a closet with an ozone generator, and cleaned up a bunch, you couldn't get rid of the smell.

• Members

I know nitro is porous, and obviously the wood underneath is, but I don't see how given enough time in the open air, maybe left in a closet with an ozone generator, and cleaned up a bunch, you couldn't get rid of the smell.

I tried airing it out for a couple of months.Didn't work. I don't have an ozone generator.

• Members

I scored a mildewed LP custom back in 94 for $265 becuase of the mildew smell. Had the guitar a couple of years and the smell never left the guitar despite being in a house that was constantly filled with weed and cigarette smoke.

• Members

$1999 for a 74 Strat??? Old and good aren't the same thing. Not a good move on your part.

Maybe but I did not want to keep the Les Paul and I could not sell it. I like the strat just as well. What is a '74 strat worth anyway? It is all original,only weighs 7.2 lbs and has the stagger pole pickups which sound great.

• Members

If you are Happy.... Then who give a crap...

I would be happy with either that did not smell...

You traded a Les Paul deluxe for a Strat... Strats of that period traditionally sell for more that the Deluxes... Except for maybe the Goldtops...

But that has little to do with whether or not you are happy with the trade... Then Again... I could be wrong

I would be happy with either one if they were a great guitar

• Members

To be honest, considering the 3 piece top on the LP, I like your trade.

The 3 piece top didn't blend very well + mildew smell you can't get rid off = now you have a vintage strat. :thu:

Looks a nice piece too.

Can't tell if the price is right or not but looks a nice strat. :)

• Moderators

Reckon it was a decent enough trade

When you get rid of summat you don't want and get summat you like then it has to be good

FMIC is now offering "reissues" of Strats taht aren't that far from that, and if that was one of the pancake bodies, which I personally don't like then it's all good

All that aside, that is a very good looking Strat:thu:

Archived