Killing High-Gain Single Coil Hum

gsteph22

• Members

Hey there,

I'm sure this is much-discussed, but search seems to be awfully dodgy for me. :cop:

I'm playing a G&L Legend (amazing guitar) with a Bareknuckle Sinner single-coil pickup. They're pretty high-gain. My amp is a Carvin V3.

I love to play 80's metal, but the hum on the thing is insanely loud. Yes, I play in an office with computers n' monitors n' stuff, but even turning that all off doesn't solve the problem much.

There's a TC Nova in my fx loop, it has a noise gate -- doesn't seem to do anything.

Suggestions? Is this something I can fix with going crazy on shielding, or is there a magic pedal to make my life better? CookieMonster.gif

• Members

You say you are playing in an office. Most offices use florescent lighting. That is a big noise source.

You can fix most of the problem with shielding but some hum will remain. One adaption to a high noise environment is to remove the covers of the pups and wrap copper foil around the outside of the pups, ground that shielding and replace the pup covers. Also shield the control and pup cavities.

• Members

ISP for the win. I run one in my pedal chain and can cook single coils without any 60 cycle.

Downfall, at certain volumes you will find the ISP can start to kill overall tone. So it is a give and take. Just takes a little time to get your settings down.

• Members

ISP for the win. I run one in my pedal chain and can cook single coils without any 60 cycle.

Downfall, at certain volumes you will find the ISP can start to kill overall tone. So it is a give and take. Just takes a little time to get your settings down.

Cool, thanks!

Archived