General guitar gadget pedals

dres_x

• Members

If you really want to start playing with effects but don't know what you want for your sound, I suggest gong to your local music store and plugging into a nice little amp that has a zillion onboard effects. Just play with them, see what you like.

Then ask the salesperson for help with pedals of that effect. Pedals of the same effect can be very different, and a lot of brands will have several different pedals of the same effect, especially for things like overdrive, delay, distortion, etc.

So try a few out in your price range and see what you like. Let us know what you go with.

• Members

oh i already have some effects, and i dont really *need* anything at the moment. Just thought it'd be fun to build my own pedal and was wondering which one off their site is the best sounding one :D

• Members

Who's got one? I'm tempted to try one since it looks fun, but can't decide on which one. I could use a delay, distortion or overdrive pedal...so, any suggestions?
:D

Truth be told, I bought a BB kit from XXXX.. Had it professionally built. It's okay at best. I should have just bought an old Marshall MIE pedal. Same money unless you build it yourself. Now the lousy part. Some of the parts that came in the kit were junk. I asked who-who for some relief.

He blew me off. Now, The fact that the pedal isn't as good sounding and performing as a Marshall is fine. It was my choice to buy it. The fact that they shipped some junk parts to build it with is another story. I have no use for XXXX and cannot recommend XXXX pedal kits.

Buy what your looking for from a store, go home with it and enjoy it. Forget the kits unless building and messing around with them is your thing. Hope this helps.

Sincerely

• Members

I just built a BSIAB2 with a contour knob a few weeks ago. Really good sounding high gain pedal. I'm not crazy about the lower gain settings, but if you're looking for higher gain, this pedal really cooks.

BSIAB2 Clip

The clip was recorded on my US Masters LeGrand Floyd (Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge), BSIAB for the distortion, a touch of reverb and delay added at the board, all running into my '72 Bassman head and Avatar 212 cab.

• Members

If you want to build it yourself, go with a simpler kit like a Fuzz Face first.

The BSIAB isn't a tough kit to build. The instructions on the site are very detailed and the circuit board has all the part numbers and positions labelled. The board is small, so you'll need a fairly steady soldering hand, but it's not a hard build at all. I finished mine in about 3-4 hours total (spread out over 2 or 3 days), and it was only my second pedal build.

Kit.jpg

BoardInHand.jpg

BSIAB8.jpg

I really should go back and clean up the wiring a little. I just stuffed it all the enclosure and didn't bother being neat about it.

BSIAB2Guts.jpg

BSIAB2Finished.jpg

• Members

I just built a BSIAB2 with a contour knob a few weeks ago. Really good sounding high gain pedal. I'm not crazy about the lower gain settings, but if you're looking for higher gain, this pedal really cooks.

BSIAB2 Clip

The clip was recorded on my US Masters LeGrand Floyd (Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge), BSIAB for the distortion, a touch of reverb and delay added at the board, all running into my '72 Bassman head and Avatar 212 cab.

im sold on it. :thu:

Archived