Fender vibro champ XD - opinions?

Tidal Rhythm

• Members

Let me be absolutely clear - I do not need another amp. Having said that, I played around with one of these at a shop the other day and really liked the multitude of sounds you can get from the different amp "voices" (to use the label on the amp controls.) It also helps that it comes in at under $200. Any opinions regarding the vibro champ XD? :confused:

• Members

I love my Vibro Champ XD. Best little practice amp I've run across. I've even gigged with it miced through the PA. I found it to sound a bit warmer and a little more responsive than the SCXD due to the Class A cathode biased power tube. Running it into a 4 ohm 2x10 cab it sounds huge! I use the #1 tweed Champ voice about 90% of the time with the reverb + delay FX setting. Sweet, sweet, sweet :D

• Members
The effects are kind of cool, and its very cheap. but a blues jr has way better pure tone.

Id rather have better tone and add my own pedals after.

Yeah and its only $300 more.:facepalm:
I have one and I really like the Champ and Tweed models, especailly with single coils. The highr gain ones not so much but I dont play with alot of gain anyway so. The effects are pretty decent just not alot of control parameters. I mainly just use the reverbs which I think sound pretty good. I cahnged the stock Speaker to an Alnico weber and it sounds fantastic. I think its a great amp overall for $200. :thu:

• Members

I love mine, and I tried both it & the SCXD, and the Vibro Champ blew it out of the water to my ears. Plus the SCXD is only 15 watts, and the "normal" channel is permanently stuck on setting "4" which I have found to be very lackluster. I use the tweed models with some tremolo for home jamming/songwriting, and I couldn't be happier. When I gig, I use my modded DRRI! The Superchamp is too loud for late night jamming, and not loud enough for unmiced clubs, it seems to be an "inbetween" amp, plus it more expensive. I don't know if the single ended 6V6 is why the VC sounds better, but it does (IMHO). I used a 10% off coupon I had and a $20 trade in and walked out with it new for $149 + tax. Well worth the money!

Archived