The heck with Guitar Center (King of The Blues contest)

neffrocks

• Members
I sometimes think that musicians are the LEAST qualified to judge.

I've known enough guitarists who listen to the guitar player, Drummers that just listen to the drums etc.

In all fairness, this is not a public gig, but a guitar playing contest....whats likely to win it for you is not necessarily what would work in a proper band situation.

If I had to play over a BT for competitive purposes, I could probably pull out something that would sound quite flash and technical, and portray me in a light that doesn't truly represent me as a player.

It MIGHT win me a contest, but it's got {censored} all to do with playing in a gigging band.

:thu:

this.

I sure as hell wouldn't win any contests as a stand alone wanker. With a band is where I shine.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just want to say one more time that one of the judges was a self-proclaimed 'blues lover for 25 years'...but he did not play any intsrtuments. Why was he judging a GUITAR contest.

Having hung around a lot of forums, I still never ceased to be amazed when this absolutely idiotic point is brought up...

• Members

meh - sounds like that picker had enough going his way.

the old dude hangs out in their store and they threw him a bone.

if this is the biggest thing burnin' yer britches, sounds like you got it pretty good, too.

• Members

Losers always think everything was rigged.

Always think the judges are crooked too. A Blues lover for 25 years that doesn't play an instrument is better qualified to judge than some three note shredder newbie.

Losers don't learn anything either. Winners however, always learn no matter what place they came on.

• Members

I was the ONLY contestant who showed up at my KOTB last night, very strange. So I'm in the store finals by default. I still played my song, then they asked me to do another one, so I played that fast country one too with some Chet Atkins style fingerpickin'. I only ran through it twice about two weeks ago, but it went over well with the crowd and the judges. I know guitar contests are all subjective, but I'm just doing it to have fun. :)

• Members

Yo Dog! I talked to the judges and they said that the dudes that didn't make it were Pitchy! Yeah they said you were real Pitchy.... Or was it bitchy?

Anyway due to the improvements in healthcare & the expected forthcoming revelations and discoveries in health science it is now considered that 55 is maybe middle age. So don't feel bad because a masterful,off the cuff, roadworn player cut heads with you and you were put down because you had an anxiety attack over equipment. He was probably more Black Keys modern blues sounding. Judges like that. Most are sick of that old play in proper key pterodactyl era, pentatonic scalige riffing that SRV and the legions of instant replay of the last 70 years of blues music could stand to hear over & over & over & OVER!

And are you sure that was TKOTB contest? I thought it was this weekend. You know the weekend after Special Olympics?

And hell yeah old dudes stick together. It's hard to be around a bunch of young fools and point out the young foolishness going on unless your with another old dude who can appreciate laughing at a young dude being a fool. :poke: Now that's entertainment.
When you get middle aged you will understand.

• Members

[quote=

And hell yeah old dudes stick together. It's hard to be around a bunch of young fools and point out the young foolishness going on unless your with another old dude who can appreciate laughing at a young dude being a fool. :poke: Now that's entertainment.

Well said.^^^^

55 ain't f&^%(n old, dumbass.

• Members

For the last time, I don't care that I didn't adavance in the contest. I just thought the 'almighty Guitar Center' would have their {censored} together a little more than they did. Jesus Christ, they promote the {censored} out it.

As far as a non-musician judging a contest, I couldn't agree more. Maybe sometimes a non-musician is a good choice for a music contest. However, these judges are supposed to judge on a number of criteria...including techinical skills and chops, intonation etc. I think a musisician would make a better judge in this case. The judge I'm talking about said 'I don't even know why I'm here. I don't what I'm doing.' Yea, great judge selection.

For everyone giving me {censored}, I'll say it again. I'M NOT THAT GOOD. I NEVER HAD A CHANCE OF WINNING. I'M NOT BITTER. Here's some clips of how I play. This is basically how I sounded in the contest. Again, I'm not that good. I'm average at best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy-f4N4K4AA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy-f4N4K4AA

This is me. This is how I play. Bash me if you want to. I'm comfortable with my playing and I always have a great time...even at the KOTB contest.

Thanks to the people who are here for discussion and not argument.

• Members
Yo Dog! I talked to the judges and they said that the dudes that didn't make it were Pitchy! Yeah they said you were real Pitchy.... Or was it bitchy?

Anyway due to the improvements in healthcare & the expected forthcoming revelations and discoveries in health science it is now considered that 55 is maybe middle age. So don't feel bad because a masterful,off the cuff, roadworn player cut heads with you and you were put down because you had an anxiety attack over equipment. He was probably more Black Keys modern blues sounding. Judges like that. Most are sick of that old play in proper key pterodactyl era, pentatonic scalige riffing that SRV and the legions of instant replay of the last 70 years of blues music could stand to hear over & over & over & OVER!

And are you sure that was TKOTB contest? I thought it was this weekend. You know the weekend after Special Olympics?

You couldn't be more wrong. Yes, it was the KOTB contest :facepalm:.
I'm sorry for calling him 'old.' I'll refer to him as 'contestant in question.' Are you siding with him just 'cause he's 'middle aged' even though you haven't heard him play? He was far from masterful. Wow! And to all you old dudes, I'm sure I'll one day feel the sting of losing my youth. Don't worry. Did I mention the OLD GUY didn't know what key was in and was allowed to start over?

• Members

You play in time, in tune and you have good tone, I wouldn't have to leave the room or anything. The only problem is that you don't look like you're into it very much. Maybe that hurt your chances?? Was that "evaluated"?

I like that kind of playing, cool setup too!!!!! :thu:

• Members
You play in time, in tune and you have good tone, I wouldn't have to leave the room or anything. The only problem is that you don't look like you're into it very much. Maybe that hurt your chances?? Was that "evaluated"?

I like that kind of playing, cool setup too!!!!!

Thanks. I'm usually more into it. It's not the best vid. I may have been drunk. It was the end of the night. Haha jk. I sure would like to see all these 'seasoned veterans' videos or soundclips. I'm glad you wouldn't leave the room if I were playing. Lol! Yes they do evaluate stage presence but that's tough to do when you are in a small, small area. Where I was playing, nobody had any really great stage antics.

• Members

Thanks. I'm usually more into it. It's not the best vid. I may have been drunk. It was the end of the night. Haha jk. I sure would like to see all these 'seasoned veterans' videos or soundclips. I'm glad you wouldn't leave the room if I were playing. Lol! Yes they do evaluate stage presence but that's tough to do when you are in a small, small area. Where I was playing, nobody had any really great stage antics.

Yep, let's go, it's your turn now, just like in a talent show. Those who can pull it off have my admiration.

The leaving the room comment is serious, I don't like to hear someone else play guitar unless they're tight and know what they're doing. I can tolerate my bad playing, but not someone else's. You fit in quite well with the others too, volume knob, level of grit, expressiveness. Nothing wrong about how you play.

• Members

Yep, let's go, it's your turn now, just like in a talent show. Those who can pull it off have my admiration.

The leaving the room comment is serious, I don't like to hear someone else play guitar unless they're tight and know what they're doing. I can tolerate my bad playing, but not someone else's. You fit in quite well with the others too, volume knob, level of grit, expressiveness. Nothing wrong about how you play.

I usually do get way more into it but the goofy faces and leg kicks and such just aren't my thing. And no, please, no talent show. Lol.

• Members

The heck with Guitar Center, I say! The heck!!!

(my Spidey sense tells me the thread topic was edited)

Lol! It sure was. I was censored. I suppose that they don't like it when people talk {censored} about GC. I still don't like GC. To many bad experiences. Perhaps I was a little crude with my thread topic.

• Members

thats good playing. and better than good if you were more than a few deep. :thu:

• Members
Lol! It sure was. I was censored. I suppose that they don't like it when people talk {censored} about GC. I still don't like GC. To many bad experiences. Perhaps I was a little crude with my thread topic.

Considering they own this place, I'm not suprised!!! Seriously now, they enforce the rule that cuss words shouldn't be used in thread titles.

I watched one of your videos and enjoyed it. :thu: I sure wouldn't leave the room. Hell, I'd be watching you play and trying to pick up some pointers!
:lol:

• Members
Considering they own this place, I'm not suprised!!! Seriously now, they enforce the rule that cuss words shouldn't be used in thread titles.

I watched one of your videos and enjoyed it.
I sure wouldn't leave the room. Hell, I'd be watching you play and trying to pick up some pointers!

Right? Lol! I thought about that right after I posted it. It's cool. Thanks for compliment. I wish I would have had videos of the other guy (country Eric Johnson uber player) who didn't move to the next round. This guy was {censored}ing awesome!

• Members

I watched one of your videos and enjoyed it.
I sure wouldn't leave the room. Hell, I'd be watching you play and trying to pick up some pointers!

Check out his other video too, it's happening. :thu:

• Members

Ahhh! Now I see the problem. You brought Humbuckers & what? A loaf of white bread? Ever hear of P90s? {censored} just a Strat & whiskey breath would have done it for you. Hell you brought a letter-opener to a Gunfight... :cop:

• Members
Ahhh! Now I see the problem. You brought Humbuckers & what? A loaf of white bread? Ever hear of P90s? {censored} just a Strat & whiskey breath would have done it for you. Hell you brought a letter-opener to a Gunfight...
:cop:

I have a Strat, buddy. I play it about half of the time. The LP the other half. I guess I'm 'pitchy' though...or bitchy. Very clever...dog! And no, I have never heard of P90s. I suppose you're right. Humbuckers are TERRIBLE for blues. What was I thinking?

• Members
Ahhh! Weedhopper! You need to snatch the P90 pebble/pick from some old dude's hand and then start your journey...

Keye%20Luke%20Master%20Po.jpg

I don't get it. Is P90 a brand of guitar? What, what? Do tell. Are you the one on the left or the right?

Archived