The heck with Guitar Center (King of The Blues contest)

neffrocks

• Members

This attitude is what I am talking about....

One favor i have to ask: I was not insulting in any way shape or form, so please refrain of calling me names for the next time, ok?

I understand your point (but not your attitude)... but the choice was in the judges' hands, either right or wrong.... believe me the "weird old guy" may not survive the next round, so no harm done to the world of music!

You gave it go, kudos for that, but do not bring down GC, because in some stores the competition is very good! and the time to be had is even better!

Thanks
:wave:

Omar
:thu:

Are you like, the forum police? Do me a favor. Don't respond to my posts, quote me or pick apart every little thing I'm saying. If you don't agree (which you obviously don't) don't read this thread anymore. Have a nice day.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I missed the whole part of the thread where you would be bitter about anything. Sounds like you didn't have your best outing, but you got to hear some guys play and a couple of them were pretty good.

As for the old guy getting some support from the judgesl; chances are pretty good that he's probably a regular customer and they heard the snickering in the crowd. There's nothing wrong with trying to be supportive and put a positive spin on what was probably a tough experience for the old guy.

I don't like music competitions though. Funny thing is that I just got an email yesterday for a battle of the bands at one of our company picnics where it's dept vs dept. We just got a new guy in that is a serious drummer and I am actually waiting for them to hunt me down because everyone knows that I play. I'm actually kind of worried because I hate playing in front of people and this will be in front of a couple hundred people.

• Members

I just want to give my first hand account of Guitar Center's King of the Blues.

Here it goes:

Contestant #1: This guy was pretty bad...period. He wasn't in right key and was out of tune. Didn't really sound experienced at all. Props to him for getting up there and playing.

Contestant#2: I play live on a regular basis and almost never get nervous. I'm very comfortable with my playing but I also know there are millions of people that can blow me out of the water. My first amp choice was an Egnater Rebel 20. It didn't work. You only have 5 min to set up and be ready. I'm now flustered. The only other amp I know anything about was the Twin reverb. I used that. The music started. I like to think I play like Robben Ford's style and SRV (though not as well...obviously). I started playing my Les Paul and could barley hear myself. I knew what I was playing but was just not into it. In short, I feel I didn't played my best.

Contestant #3: Weird old guy who had not listened to any of the tracks. The GC worker chose one for him. He started playing and had to stop the music because he didn't know what key he was in. The GC employee told him the key. Weird old guy was terrible. That's all I can say. People were practically snickering at him while he was playing.

Contestant number #4 This guy was rad! He sounded like Johnny Hiland meets Eric Johnson. His demise was he played the country sounding track and didn't win 'cause it was too country sounding. This guy fucking ripped! Why would GC put a country sounding track (with a train beat, mind you) in a blues contest if...ahh, whatever.

Contestant #5 Last years store winner. He was pretty excellent. He sounds like John Mayer and SRV. He pulled it off well with a well thought out solo. Really good!

All the workers and judges seemed to know each other which I thought what weird. Some of the workers knew a few of the contestants (I'm just sayin').

Anyway, contest #5 (rightfully so) and contestant #3 (WHAT THE FUCK!). The judges liked #5 for obvious reasons and like #3 because blues is all all about 'just wingin' it and divin' right in.' Contestant #4 BY FAR was the best but was 'to county.'

Thanks for reading. Fuck you Guitar Center. I've heard others say that the judging for the KOTB contest is kinda f'd up sometimes. I'm sad that I experienced it.

Awwwe, such a tear jerker. :cry::cry:

baby-crying.jpg

• Members

I missed the whole part of the thread where you would be bitter about anything. Sounds like you didn't have your best outing, but you got to hear some guys play and a couple of them were pretty good.

As for the old guy getting some support from the judgesl; chances are pretty good that he's probably a regular customer and they heard the snickering in the crowd. There's nothing wrong with trying to be supportive and put a positive spin on what was probably a tough experience for the old guy.

I don't like music competitions though. Funny thing is that I just got an email yesterday for a battle of the bands at one of our company picnics where it's dept vs dept. We just got a new guy in that is a serious drummer and I am actually waiting for them to hunt me down because everyone knows that I play. I'm actually kind of worried because I hate playing in front of people and this will be in front of a couple hundred people.

Im not sure, but I think the old guy is like a fixture in this GC. They all knew him by name. He won't go far, good for him for playing, and shame on the judges if that's the case. Yea, contests are stupid. AGREED!

• Members

It's fallacious to think that a blues aficionado has no credibility if he does not play an instrument.

Remember this the next time you dare to critique a film or a comic or whatever.

Well it was a guitar contest, but I guess if Ellen Dejeneres can judge people's singing...

• Members

Well it was a guitar contest.

Yeah, it was. Not the point.

The point is, you don't have top be a practitioner in order to have an opinion. And that GC obviously valued that guy's opinion.

• Members

Well, here's my crackpot POV:

Music is not a competition, and music competitions should be avoided at all costs. Cuz this is what you get. It homogenizes music and musicians involved and props up the idea that someone else's opinion (the judges) means more than that of the listener.

From King of the Blues, to American Idol, to bluegrass contests, to classical contests, to local battle of the bands, the results are negative in all aspects.

This American Idol mentality that something happens when you WIN.

While I agree almost completely, having to step up and show what you've got can make you better. You realize that you're not up to snuff, you're not all that great until the conditions are perfect. It's one experience (can be brutal and painful, believe me) but it teaches you something if you're not just focusing on the results.

• Members

As for the original post, I didn't detect the whining that some of you seem to have inferred.

That's my take on it, too. OP was just complaining that judging was so erratic and possibly tainted; no sour grapes for himself (assuming for the moment that OP is male - strong possibility given HCEG's demography, but an assumption).

As to not knowing exactly why he entered the contest in the first place, apparently I'd get a double facepalm for most aspects of my life, because I'm in the dark a lot of the time! A lot of the time I just go with instinct and see where I end up. The contest is a low-stakes risk, seems worth the small investment just to find out how it works. OP found out; lesson learned.

Agnostic on contests. Yeah, pitting different musics and musicians against one another is inherently flawed, and yet competition can bring out the best (and worst) in people - eg, see "jazz". I see contests as an opportunity for exposure to and appreciation of different stuff, and don't take the judgements seriously (ever watch the Grammys?).

• Members

Was the weird, old guy *really* old? You know, like 40?
:eek:

Hey! :mad: I'm 40 and I am definatly not old! :mad:

;)

Would be nice to have these kind of competitions over here, our music instrument shops never do anything fun for us.

• Members

I just want to say one more time that one of the judges was a self-proclaimed 'blues lover for 25 years'...but he did not play any intsrtuments. Why was he judging a GUITAR contest.

The notion that people who don't play an instrument should not critique music is stupid. Most of the people who enjoy music don't play a musical instrument.

• Members

I sometimes think that musicians are the LEAST qualified to judge.

I've known enough guitarists who listen to the guitar player, Drummers that just listen to the drums etc.

In all fairness, this is not a public gig, but a guitar playing contest....whats likely to win it for you is not necessarily what would work in a proper band situation.

If I had to play over a BT for competitive purposes, I could probably pull out something that would sound quite flash and technical, and portray me in a light that doesn't truly represent me as a player.

It MIGHT win me a contest, but it's got fuck all to do with playing in a gigging band.

:thu:

Archived