Do different lace sensors really sound all that different other than output level?

tantamo

• Members

I'm thinking about getting a blue,silver,red but I don't want to if they sound like the golds I already have in another guitar.

I haven't been able to find clips of the different models, anyone know where some are?

• Members

See my sig. My Carvin Bolt has a Green, Silver, Red. Three really distinct voices, IMO. Which, in one aspect kinda sucks due to the fact the voices don't necessarily sound good mixed in positions 2 and 4. So, in this Strat style guitar I have (more or less) lost the classic 'cluck' sounds that positions 2 and 4 normally give you. Since I have a Strat that has traditional sounding pickups, it's all cool.

Man, the Green sensor in the neck position is wonderful. The middle position I am not to happy with. The silver is too fat sounding here. Sounds great with overdrive, but I tend to use this position for cleans.

I'm planning on putting a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge position just because I dig that pickup in alder Strat-style guitars!

• Members

The only one I've found usuable was the Gold one...and even then maybe just in the middle position of a 3 pickup strat for some variety of tone.

decent sound and quiet...more of a nice pickup to go to for reducing noise or getting some nice phasing colors mixed with other pickups. Alone it kind of reminds me of a lower output Seymour Duncan "Hot Rails" in sound.

• Members

I have a set of Lace Custom Shop pickups from around 2002ish and those are some really nice pickups. Two are their vintage voiced (bridge and middle) and the neck is one of my favorite pickups ever. It's what they called a psychedelic pickup at the time and I had them put a chrome cover on it.

I don't know what it corresponds to in their current terminology, but that pickup sounds wonderful in my strat.

• Members

I'm running silver/neck, gold/middle, blue/bridge in my Strat and I really like that combo. I had a red in the bridge for a while, but it was too harsh and edgy for my taste. The blue is the highest output after the red, but is much warmer and fatter sounding. I especially like the silver in the neck.

• Members

Yeah, the versions I have tested sound very different than one another. I have a fender strat plus with 3 factory gold lace sensors, and the bridge has been occupied by a blue sensor for the last ten years or so. The blue is more of a vintage PAF type sound, rather than the hot single coil that the gold is supposed to be. The blue gives a very convincing HB /PAF sound to my ears. I would say the output level of the blue and golds feel about the same, as there is no jump in volume when I switch between them. The blue PAF effect seems to be made by subtle eq tweaks or something, but clearly NOT volume/output boosts. I have no idea if this is true of all their models.

Archived