Suggest refinish ideas please

Lobsterbush

• Members

I am thinking of trying my hand at refinishing this old Epi S series. I'm only into it for $50 so I figure I don't have much to lose if I screw up horribly.

SAM_0020-1.jpg

SAM_0021.jpg

It is pretty beat up and scratched up. Not like mojo from playing, Somebody just didn't take care of it. Somebody also tried to mask a few chips with sharpie or something.

I just can't decide on a finish. Black would probably be toward the bottom of the list since I don't really like it as a finish for a guitar because of it showing every little smudge.

Let me know what you think would look good. Keep in mind I don't want to refinish the headstock so It needs to look decent with a black headstock. Clear finishes are out of the question since the body is plywood.

• Members

Yeah a color suggestion is what I'm looking for. Sorry about that. When you say sand it smooth do you mean I would have to sand it all the way down to wood? I figure I could just rough it up and paint over after filling in imperfections.

• Members

You don't need to go all the way to wood with a solid color. Just enough to rough up the surface and get rid of your scratches. Fill any chips with wood filler or epoxy.

As far as color goes, that's a personal choice. Red, blue, green, pink. Whatever.

I like canary yellow myself. :)

EG

Archived