I'm going to quit the band after our gig tomorrow.

GreatDane

• Members

it's just that, instead of letting the feelings fester and create tension/drama, i think it's best to make my exit and move on.

This. I've never been in a committed band but from other similar group type things I can say getting out before things develop into drama is definitely a good thing. Drama causes to much drain on you...

• Members

GD,

When my second son was born I was in a similar position. A couple guys I went to college with and I all have ProTools and we work on each others tracks.

If you have friends that are willing to work like this it can be great. Granted, it's not like being in a band playing out but you really get to make some great recordings and work with other musicians.

• Members

the show last night was a total success. we filled the small bar with over 200 people and held most peoples' attention until the wee hours. i'm beat. feeling old as i type this. my head hit the pillow at 2:10am. the benefit show was for a local boy who has cancer. we donated 100% of the door to the family. additional donation money was given by the venue and by attendees. i don't have the total $ amount raised, but will let you know when i get it. we recorded the show through the board and i think got pics/video too. when that comes together i'll share "highlights". plenty of stupid little mistakes were made by each of us, but no one seemed to notice or care.

here's a crappy cellphone pic of my gig rig for the show (no pic of the pedalboard though):

05222010_KCDubliners_Boneya.jpg

i figure i'll make my exit this week, as low-key as possible. no sense doing it last night and spoil the vibe for the others.

• Members
i appreciate the offer. i honestly don't think i'd meet with most gigging bands' approval. we've got a 17 month old son who i try to spend all my waking hours with, and another baby on the way in November. i think i may shift focus to writing and recording so i can be at home with the family more often. i thought i'd hate it at first (like i could no longer live the dream), but now i realize it's the only thing that really matters.
:thu:

the ideal band situation for me right now would probably be writing original tunes with a band one night a week within 20 minutes of the house, putting out recordings and playing the occasional local show.

I can understand that. I'm going on 47, and with my job and other responsibilities, doing the long distance band thing is definitely a no go. Good luck. I'm in your situation. And after a long period of hard times, that forced me into selling all of my good gear, I finally have some halfway decent gear again. The problem is, at my age, it's tough finding people who want to rock hard (metal would be nice, but even hard driving indie and alternative rock would be cool). All they want to do is the blooz, or klassic rawk.

Good luck.

Archived