Anyone ever put a finish on their faded Gibson?

PigWings_v2.0

• Members

I have an LP Studio with one of those faded red finishes.

It has a carved mahogany top that seems to dent quite easily with no finish so I'm thinking of put one on. How much did a nitro finish cost you guys?

I love the open wood feel of the neck though so I might leave that unfinished. Or maybe some kind of smooth satin finish or something. Any ideas?

Post pics if you got 'em!

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I remember a thread about the faded flame top models on the LP forum. They were using some kind of wax or oil product, and getting something that looked a lot like a Gibson custom shop VOS type finish. They looked awesome.

• Members

I don't have mine anymore, but I put binding and a goldtop finish (gloss back & neck) on my LP. I added a bigsby too. I ended up selling the guitar (I have a 99' LP Classic too) but I turned a nice profit.

In hindsight, the binding was tough, and there were a few spots that looked a little messed up. But nitro is a good call. Just get some grain filler and you are good to go.

• Members

My brother is in the middle of doing an SG faded. Sand, re-stain if needed, grain fill, additional thin coats of nitro. Rattle can, or if you have a sprayer, but the rattle can can give good results if you take your time.

• Members

Nope, I used the Tru-Oil itself as a grain filler on this one. You just have to keep applying coats then knocking them back until it smoothes out. I'd do three coats, take it down with steel wool, then three more, etc...

I didn't go 100% grain filled on this as I wanted to retain some of the vintage vibe of the original look. I did do a mahogany Tele body that I grainfilled, then stained then Tru-Oiled. That one turned out smooth as a baby's butt.

Archived