New Guitar Build: Jerry Garcia Tiger Copy

metalhead666666

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I got the wings sanded and carved today and I routed the control cavity. I couldn't fit the recessed output into it so it's going to have an sg style output jack. I still have to carve the back of the bottom wing. I did the carves differently than the tiger, I like them this way better it reminds me of some of the alembic guitars and I think it flows better with the maple.

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2779.jpg

I can't decide weather or not to do an arm contour or not, it would be more comfortable but it will change the look a lot. This is how I'd do it, any opinions?

IMG_2640.jpg

• Members

I can't decide weather or not to do an arm contour or not, it would be more

If it's carved similarly to Jerry's I don't think you'll need the arm contour - because the relief between the middle and edge will already be pretty pronounced.

BTW -- cool project!

• Members

This looks like it will be my main guitar...or at least my best looking and most comfortable one. I routed the pickup cavities today, got the neck almost all the way carved, fretted the fingerboard and put the side dots in, and glued the fingerboard on. Stainless steel frets are hard to work with but it'll be great when it's done.

Marking out pickup routs:

IMG_2796.jpg

Fingerboard glued on:

IMG_2808.jpg

IMG_2808.jpg

• Members

hmm. curious if the bridge will go low enough, as your fretboard is about 1/8" lower then a strat one now.

have you run a string to see? (guess its still drying)

No I haven't, but I will tomorrow just to be sure. If not I will just recess the bridge a little. The bridge goes pretty low since it's a hardtail so I'm pretty sure it's ok.

Archived