dead fret on my guitar

blingdogg

• Members

I have a dead fret on the 14th fret, G string of my Ibanez guitar. Whenever I play that spot, there's practically no sound or I get wolf tones (I think it's wolf tones, or ghost tones... I get a very weak sound of different note). It's in a bad spot for lead playing so I'm wondering what I should do?

I didn't pay much for the guitar, only about $400 and I really don't have the money right now to get a new guitar (I do have 5 other nice ones to play right now though...). And it's nice otherwise.

Anyone have an idea about what repair would need to be done, and the cost?

• Members

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm planning on taking the guitar to the shop so a tech could check it out, later this summer. I'm afraid of doing this kind of work myself so I'll let a pro handle it.

The guitar's an Ibanez SA120, a Strat-style, and I had some improvement after lowering the bridge and saddles and the trem claws inside. It's more of a buzz now, but at least it's playable now.

For now, I'll just play my other guitars, I have 5 other good ones so it's not so bad. This one will stay in its case until it can be fixed with a proper setup. Like you guys mentioned, it's maybe a fret that's too high or low that needs filing.

Thanks again.

Have you tried lowering your pickups yet?

The pickups are pretty low as they are, but I lowered the bridge pup a bit and I think it sounds a bit better. :thu:

Archived