What scales do you practice the most?

jr_vw2

• Members

This.

Making up scales is good fun too.

The best lesson on modes I have seen,

wow.

not big on satriani but the kid sure knows his stuff. really liked his perspective on music. went to youtube and found a bazillion satriani instructional vids. he has some really good techniques and exercises.

• Members

I would love to practice scales but I don't know of any good scale practice books. Any recommendations? I like one especially for lead electric guitar.

If you want a book about just scales, Guitar Grimoire is the way to go. They list just about every scale in every key in there. Of course making sense of it, and learning to use the scales is a different matter.

• Members

Most of the modes, locrian and lydian don't do it for me.

Harmonic minor and some of its modes.

I use arpeggios with passing tones if I need

more than that. Most of my rock soloing is a

mishmash of dorian and mixolydian with

other scale tones (usually maj7) occasionally thrown in.

• Members

When you are Practicing what are your go to scales that you practice the most?

chromatic and diminished

WB_0666B.jpg

not scale practise per se, I come up with sequences, try to throw in some string skipping and see where it feels awkward for me. Then I focus on that.

here's some stuff:

• Members

99% of the time I practice all five positions of the pentatonic minor/major and all five positions of the natural minor/major. By practice that doesn't necessarily mean running up and down octaves. I'll put on a backing track and jam with melodies but be conscious of practicing one particular box that might be weaker. Then linking the boxes smoothly, so I can play up and down the neck in any key that the backing track happens to be in.

• Members

If you're just practicing scales by running up and down them, then yes, it can lead to overly linear playing. That's just the first step though. After you've got that down, you can play the scales in chunks - 3 notes, 4 notes, 5 notes at a time (say, in C major, C D E, D E F, E F G, etc) or in different intervals (3rds for example - C E, D F, E G, F A, etc) and keep throwing in variations and curves like that. Doing that will just improve your finger dexterity far more than going up and down the same patterns.

Archived