GFS "Brown Sound" Pickups

walrus1

• Members

Wow 2009 - I didn't realize those had been out so long. I guess that "Brand New" heading at guitarfetish is all relative. :D

I wasn't necessarily going for an EVH tone, but I thought they might be more versatile. I just think the stock humbucker is kind of ratty and I wanted something smoother. These actually sound a little fizzy from the demos, though.

• Members

I have a set in an Agile AL2000. They can sound a bit muddy if not set up right...they're a bit touchy about the "sweet spot". Once you find it though they sound great. Very sensitive to picking nuances. I like them a lot. Of the GFS humbuckers I've tried, I would pick these if I was looking for that brown sound.

• Members

they are good bang for the buck from what i have heard. but for the "brown sound" i would (and did) go with the Williams Attackbucker. Granted its more the amp than anything for that particular sound.....

• Members

I've got a set in an Agile AL-3000. Decent pickup. It took awhile for them to grow on me because I'm used to 'hotter' pickups. I still wouldn't call them an earth shattering pickup but they are what they claim to be. A hotter PAF. Full enough tonally and respond well to dynamics.

• Members

I've got a set in an Agile AL-3000. Decent pickup. It took awhile for them to grow on me because I'm used to 'hotter' pickups. I still wouldn't call them an earth shattering pickup but they are what they claim to be. A hotter PAF. Full enough tonally and respond well to dynamics.

Oh cool - I actually don't want it too hot, but what you described sounds perfect. It actually might be what I'm looking for in this situation - not really the "brown sound," but just an aggressive bridge HB, but still PAFy. thanks for all the responses.

Archived