Where's the 'new' HC?

smorgdonkey

• Members

Why was everybody bitching about the new format? You could post pictures from your own hard drive, and upload sound and video clips easier. The only thing that made it worse for me was all the constant complaining.

There are numerous online hosts that will host pictures with no bandwidth limit like img boot. They also look better when displayed on forums. It really wasn't a "feature".

You may have liked 2.0 but you can't deny that 99.999% of the rest of the forum didn't.

• Members

There are numerous online hosts that will host pictures with no bandwidth limit like img boot. They also look better when displayed on forums. It really wasn't a "feature".

You may have liked 2.0 but you can't deny that 99.999% of the rest of the forum didn't.

I know people didn't like it, but I can't think of any reason why. To me it was like when they changed Facebook's format and everyone was against it..... until 2 months later when they forgot about the old format.

Then again, this is a forum for people who play instruments that haven't changed for 60 years, so maybe I'm the odd man out.

• Members

I know people didn't like it, but I can't think of any reason why. To me it was like when they changed Facebook's format and everyone was against it..... until 2 months later when they forgot about the old format.

Then again, this is a forum for people who play instruments that haven't changed for 60 years, so maybe I'm the odd man out.

For instance, it DIDN'T WORK on mobile platforms. That is not a issue of like/dislike. It simply did not work.

• Members

Why was everybody bitching about the new format? You could post pictures from your own hard drive, and upload sound and video clips easier. The only thing that made it worse for me was all the constant complaining.

Who cares? Most of use use this forum for conversing, and that was very cumbersome on 2.0.

• Members

HC1!!!! Or if you can't get one (for others in a similar dilema, as it's long discontinued) a HC7 or the brand new HC9 - essentially just a tweaked upgrade of the HC7. HC3 and HC5's were not as good for several reasons as latest Sony HC Series consumer HDV cams (from what I've read on here over the last 9 months or so)....But yes, the HC1 is a great little HDV cam - just make sure the sun's out (but you know that already with your A1 as it's essentially the same inside.

• Members

Just what I remember off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot

Slow

Didn't work on several popular browsers or mobile computers

Couldn't turn off avatars and signatures

Couldn't subscribe to threads

No quick reply

No mouse hover preview

quoting was cumbersome

couldn't view the whole thread while replying

Wouldn't automatically log you on when replying

No tool tips on the buttons so it wasn't clear what they did

counterintuitive layout

No go to last post button

Couldn't tell you which threads had been modified since your last visit

• Members

I think HC 2.0 was greatly misunderstood and under-appreciated.

The old HC was nearing the breaking point due to the massive bandwidth requirement of all those users.

Management brought out 2.0 to fix that problem, and succeeded beyond their wildest expectations.

Today we have room for at least 90% growth before having to worry again.

• Members

I was a strong proponent of 2.0, but ultimately it doesn't really matter which platform the HC higher-ups decide to go with. I come here for guitar info and entertainment, not to marvel at the great software.

But with the Bolt Lite mobile web browser, I could get 2.0 to work with my cell phone.

Also, HCEG 1.0 seems to be working better now with my cell phone than it did before the change. They must have made some changes to 1.0.

• Members

I think HC 2.0 was greatly misunderstood and under-appreciated.

The old HC was nearing the breaking point due to the massive bandwidth requirement of all those users.

Management brought out 2.0 to fix that problem, and succeeded beyond their wildest expectations.

Today we have room for at least 90% growth before having to worry again.

Where did you come up with that? 2.0 forums have gone away, so I don't know what you mean by room for growth. The mass rejection of 2.0 forced them to relook at 1.0 and they finally did what they should have done, and hired somebody technically competent to manage it. Supposedly he found a bunch of old and bad code and has been able to upgrade the existing performance considerably.

• Members

It had a lot more to do with compatability issues amongst different browsers; horribly flawed navigation, lack of basic forum features (multi-quote, post preview, etc..), posts that would come up missing, horribly slow performance due to the dynamic content and of course the ridiculously bad layout where half of the area was taken up by useless boxes.

I did like some of the new features as well, but without the basic stuff working it doesn't make up for it.

And it may not have run poorly for you, I know that I got it running very well at home by using Firefox and some custom scripts, but you shouldn't have to do that.

But the bottom line was the statistics for the site. It dropped to the point that no matter how much they spent on the new site's development that the loss of traffic outweighed it by a substantial margin. No company throws money away, but if no one uses the product than it's no use.

Just take a look at how much traffic went on over there. You'd have 2-3 posts a day that weren't 'this new site sucks' related. That's epic failure.

• Members

I'm Old Skool IT. Vacuum tubes and relays days. Punch card - punched by hand :facepalm:

I prefer to think HC management had the best of intentions (Yes, making the site pay for itself is fine).

However, their competency level is at the 1 percentile level. That still an order of magnitude higher then the good folk at Joke Software, and they should have caught on.

The problem is that I really don't think they (HC) learned anything from this episode. They are still making bad decisions, still pissin' off people, still drunk drovers forgetting where the sun rises.

Archived