How to identify vintage Fender pickups?

ashtray

• Members

So I acquired a set of Fender pickups that my buddy had laying around. (traded me some bench time for the pickups, as I restring/set up/mod a bunch of his axes) Anyways, I'm trying to figure out what they are.

The pickups are Fender single coil Stratocaster pickups. They have grey bottoms (light grey?), and black and white cloth (wax cloth?) leads. NO numbers stamped into the bottom of the pickups. They are staggered pole, and have beveled edges to the tops of the pole pieces.

FWIW, they have no markings to identify them as Fender or not, and have white pickups covers. (under the cover, the coil wire area is wrapped in black, and the top part of the pickup assembly is grey as well)

I'm assuming these may be Fender USA 60s RI pickups, but have no way to verify. The pickups have been used, but are in excellent shape with long leads. (nothing to id them as neck/middle/bridge though) I have not put them on my multi meter yet.

Ideas?

• Moderators

So I acquired a set of Fender pickups that my buddy had laying around. (traded me some bench time for the pickups, as I restring/set up/mod a bunch of his axes) Anyways, I'm trying to figure out what they are.

The pickups are Fender single coil Stratocaster pickups. They have grey bottoms (light grey?), and black and white cloth (wax cloth?) leads. NO numbers stamped into the bottom of the pickups. They are staggered pole, and have beveled edges to the tops of the pole pieces.

FWIW, they have no markings to identify them as Fender or not, and have white pickups covers. (under the cover, the coil wire area is wrapped in black, and the top part of the pickup assembly is grey as well)

I'm assuming these may be Fender USA 60s RI pickups, but have no way to verify. The pickups have been used, but are in excellent shape with long leads. (nothing to id them as neck/middle/bridge though) I have not put them on my multi meter yet.

Ideas?

In fairnerss they could be anything, fit them, if they sound good, enjoy, if not move on

Archived