volume pedals and impedance question

randombastage

• Members

I'm looking at buying a pedal for a few uses, one of them being to put in the effects loop return to control the overall volume of the signal returning to the amp.

I plan to have a stereo output from a Line6 M13, send one side back to the main amp's effects return and the other side to an Atomic amp. The Atomic is a power tube section only with no volume control. Since the main amp is a master volume type amp which will be used at low volumes sometimes I need to be able to 'turn down' the volume of the Atomic to match the volume of the main amp so I get a nice even stereo mix. Reducing the signal going into the Atomic seems like the easiest way to do that.

Is a volume pedal supposed to be low or high impedance (I see both kind advertised) for use in an effects loop? Am I making a mistake trying to match the volume this way?

• Members

I use low impedance in the effects loop with an M-13 and it works great. From what I've heard, low impedance will work either way, but high will only work with a guitar's signal.

It's my understanding that FX loops are low impedance anyway.

• Members

Different amps can have loops at different levels, but IIRC most guitar amps use an instrument level effects loop. I can't see why it would require high impedance pedals though. You can use a high impedance pedal even if the loop output is low impedance, what you can't do is use a low impedance pedal with a high impedance loop send.

• Members

Thanks guys but this is getting confusing (primarily because I don't know what constitutes "high impedance" and "low impedance").

My amp's specs are:

Effects send - 600 Ohms

Return - 220K Ohms

It's the Egnater Tweaker if that helps anyone.

Archived