Greatest Rock Singer?

onelife

• Moderators

feh...next thing you know, you'll be telling us Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me" is better than "Yesterday". :poke:

:lol:

But this isn't about what we like, there's some objectivity possible when it comes to great vocalist or superb bassist. :idk:

One bassist that comes to mind as far more proficient than McCartney would be, oh, I dunno, Geddy Lee?

*ducks* :eek:

Terry D.

• Members

:lol:

But this isn't about what we like, there's some objectivity possible when it comes to great vocalist or superb bassist.
:idk:

One bassist that comes to mind as far more proficient than McCartney would be, oh, I dunno, Geddy Lee?

*ducks*
:eek:

Terry D.

Lee is really gonna get you, now. :cop:

• Members
Just when the thread was getting good it devolves into dueling youtube clips which, when blocked by my corporate firewall, are merely white space on a screen.
:cry:

Sorry, man. I posted Rush Working Man, just so you're not in the dark. SalT posted some OJ madness...I was scared to watch it. :p

• Members

McCartney is a contender but his pitch accuracy has not been as consistent as many others, especially during the last 20 years. I never heard Lennon hit a wrong note, while McCartney does occasionally, even on some unreleased Beatle's recordings. OTOH I do think that Oh Darling is one of the best rock vocal performances captured on a recording.

My nominee is Peter Gabriel-He has done a wide variety of styles and vocal approaches from a whisper to a scream, always sounding controlled (in a good way), appropriate and sincere.

If soul singers count I would nominate Arethra Franklin.

Further outside of rock, the best singers I have heard are Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn (Pakistani)and Aster Aweke (Ethipoian). Check 'em out.

• Members
Sorry, man. I posted Rush Working Man, just so you're not in the dark. SalT posted some OJ madness...I was scared to watch it.
:p

Thanks - that'll be motivation to check this thread out from home where the "man" can't hold me down!

• Members

I preferred Ron's voice
;)

:D

(It must be noted that I was only a fan of seventies era Sparks. ("Don't Leave Me Alone With her," "Propaganda," one great, truly weird song after another.) When they went disco/new wave it was facepalm time between me and my South Bay homies. Although I do love the self-cover stuff they did with the orchestra and choir and the stuff with the Faith No More guy is interesting.)

BTW, I'd never heard of Sparks (even though they grew up about 10 miles away) but I started paling around with a young Glaswegian who was visiting my neighbor, who we were both in love with, and in classic French film style, we became good pals; we also bonded over Rory Gallagher (and he gave me his prized Irish Tour '74 T-shirt, then brand new); before he left to go back home to Scotland, he said I had to check out this new band Sparks (who he misidentified as from the UK, where they were in the top 5, even though they were pretty much completely unknown here in the States).

But... I was punting. Er... not sure that has quite the same shade of meaning for non-US, non-'American football' fans.

I can't even begin to put a favorite tag on a given singer. So many great rock singers from Little Richard to David Thomas (of Pere Ubu non-fame)...

But I'll try again...

Howard Devoto.

Sure, he's not exactly an operatic singer.

But he put on some of the most compelling performances I've ever seen when I saw him and Magazine 4 times in the late 70s and leading edge of the 80s.

For conventional really good singing by someone working in and around the rock milieu, I think I might nominate Linda Ronstadt. Clearly a great set of pipes, great timing, great feel for rock, as well as the ability to jump to completely different genres. She's clearly more than a rock singer, but listen to "You're No Good" again before you dismiss her...

• Members
McCartney certainly has made his place in music history, but he's by no means a fantastic singer or a fantastic bass player.
:confused:

He's most definitely an accomplished songwriter and an adequate singer and bassist. It's totally ok that he doesn't have killer chops on bass or amazing vocal range, quality, and skill.
:idk:

I would also classify the Beatles as pop, not rock, though the definition of those two terms has changed quite a bit over the years.

Terry D.

McCartney is very talented as we all know... would love to have a tenth of his talent and $$$ but vocalist? Nope. None of the Beatles were great singers. They could scream and they could sing ballads but none of them had beautiful voices.

• Members

My nominee is Peter Gabriel-He has done a wide variety of styles and vocal approaches from a whisper to a scream, always sounding controlled (in a good way), appropriate and sincere.

Further outside of rock, the best singers I have heard are Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn (Pakistani)and Aster Aweke (Ethipoian). Check 'em out.

Peter Gabriel is the reason I know who Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn is. I love them both. I would refer to Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn as a rock singer by any stretch.

Macca is brilliant, especially that he's been so good for so long.

Many rockers lose it over the years. I have no idea how McCartney has kept his voice so strong. Derek St. Holmes also has kept his voice. Neil Finn is probably my favorite.

Archived