Greatest Rock Singer?

onelife

• Members

I'm not into the idea of rating musicians or singers but if I was to do such a thing, Paul McCartney would certainly deserve consideration.

I was watching some video of the Shea Stadium and was blown away by "Baby's in Black". I started thinking how versatile he is, from the Little Richard/Elvis stuff in the early days to the backup vocal on "Something" that he sang at the George Harrison Tribute Concert. There's the "Helter Skelter/I'm Down" toughness and then things like "Michelle" and "For No One".

This is not a poll or even a real question - just an appreciation of McCartney as a Rock Singer with greatness, versatility and longevity. He's also a pretty good songwriter and bass player and he can certainly hold his own on the guitar, especially the acoustic guitar.

• Members

Though I'm not always in love with his music, Bono has a great set of pipes ... least he did when I last saw U2 live (circa 2001). And even if he's not a rock musician per se, Van Morrison is extraordinarily faithful to his recordings and doesn't hit a bum note .. ever!! :eek:

Would have said Plant in 1972 but he cannot go to the same places anymore ...

Paul Rodgers? He's great but a bit boring :bor:

I dunno ....

[EDIT] Skim read your post and didn't take in the last para. Didn't realise this was a Paul McCartney thumbs aloft love-in. Yep, he's super, smashing great ... but he also brought us the Frog Chorus. Some of us cannot forgive or forget :mad:

• Members

Not so much a "thumbs aloft love-in" but an appreciation of his vocal ability - the guy can sing.

I agree with the others you mention and with the idea that not everything McCartney has given us is good - in fact, some of it was awful.

• Members

I could never name just one but here is a list of people, pipes only- rock only, that I think are great:

Robert Plant

Chris Cornell

Freddie Mercury

Paul Rogers

Lou Gramm (Foreigner)

Brad Delp (Boston)

Steve Perry

Bono

Ronnie James Dio

Billy Squier

Klaus Meine

David Coverdale

Bruce Dickinson

• Members

The whole concept is ridiculous.
:)

This was never meant to be a poll - I realize now that I should have used a different title for the thread - but a realization that McCartney, purely as a vocalist, is great.

That being said, the other names listed in the thread so far show that he is in good company in the category of great rock singers.

I've been watching bits of the Beatles Anthology over the last few weeks and McCartney's vocal parts, both lead and harmony really stand out. Even now he can still sing the stuff - although I don't think "Oh Darling" ever makes it to the set list.

• Moderators

This is not a poll or even a real question - just an appreciation of McCartney as a Rock Singer with greatness, versatility and longevity. He's also a pretty good songwriter and bass player and he can certainly hold his own on the guitar, especially the acoustic guitar.

McCartney certainly has made his place in music history, but he's by no means a fantastic singer or a fantastic bass player. :confused:

He's most definitely an accomplished songwriter and an adequate singer and bassist. It's totally ok that he doesn't have killer chops on bass or amazing vocal range, quality, and skill. :idk:

I would also classify the Beatles as pop, not rock, though the definition of those two terms has changed quite a bit over the years.

Terry D.

• Members

McCartney certainly has made his place in music history, but he's by no means a fantastic singer or a fantastic bass player.
:confused:

He's most definitely an accomplished songwriter and an adequate singer and bassist. It's totally ok that he doesn't have killer chops on bass or amazing vocal range, quality, and skill.
:idk:

I would also classify the Beatles as pop, not rock, though the definition of those two terms has changed quite a bit over the years.

Terry D.

Lee Flier is going to kill you, while you sleep.:evil:

• Members

Well, he's very good at all that, all that, y'know, but if you compare him to an Indian instrumentalist or vocalist who has been studying 8 hours a day for twenty days and has supreme control over every nuance or someone who has been playing classical violin every day since s/he was four years old, then no, he's not "fantastic" by those standards.

• Members

James Brown, Jello Biafra, Mark Greenway, OZZY...oh wait, I think I figured it out:

The greatest rock singer has to be Rob Halford. Because nobody can touch his classic work on the early JP albums.

Exhibit a:

[YOUTUBE]H_mpt8xyZVI[/YOUTUBE]

Exhibit b:

[YOUTUBE]GjMizl3qQGE[/YOUTUBE]

:blah:

• Moderators

Lee Flier is going to kill you, while you sleep.
:evil:

There are worse ways to die. ;)

Oh, and Ms. Flier should start listening to some newer music, there's plenty of good stuff being recorded today. :)

:wave:

Terry D.

• Members

There are worse ways to die.
;)

Oh, and Ms. Flier should start listening to some newer music, there's plenty of good stuff being recorded today.
:)

:wave:

Terry D.

feh...next thing you know, you'll be telling us Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me" is better than "Yesterday". :poke:

Archived