SG players, best pickups for SG?

Crunchtime

• Members

Off-hand, I'd say the Rio Grande Texas/BBQ set. Can do great cleans and overdriven tones, plus they're darker which works better with the SG.

BG Pickups also get a lot of love around here and with very good reason.

• Members

I own several SGs and my fave has a Burstbucker 1 & Burstbucker 2 combo in it. It's not as bright as the '57s and is more complex sounding than the 490s or 498s.

I'm a bit of an dd man out though, because my second choice is the 490R/490T. I actually prefer that more classic rock tone over the harder sounding 498T

I also have the SG Classic with the P-90s which is pretty cool. Another has the EMG 85/81 combo which I actually like better on an SG than an LP.

About the only common Gibson p'up I haven't tried out personally on an SG is the Burstbucker Pros. But I think I'd prefer the 1&2 since they are a bit more mellow. I have guitars with BB Pros, just not an SG.

• Members

Anyone tried a Air Norton/Tone Zone combo in a SG?

No, but I bet that would sound pretty darn good.

I have that combo in a Telecaster Custom Special which is similarly mahogany with a set neck and that combo sounds pretty sweet in that guitar. Plus those pickups have very useful split tones.

Archived