NGD - PRS Indian Rosewood Magic

thehikingdude

• Members

A few days ago I had the pleasure of opening up a PRS Experience 59/09 with an Indian Rosewood Neck and Fretboard in Faded Blue Jean. 100 of these were made for the 2009 PRS Experience show. All of them were made with Private Stock tops with a handful of them made with 1-piece tops. The Abalone inlays are very blue which is a perfect match for the finish. The very first thing that hit me was the Satin finish. This is my first PRS with a satin finish and I must say it is very easy on the eyes. It invites you to touch it. The second thing was the weight, at 7.2 lbs it is easily the lightest guitar I own. Next is the natural finish of the IRW neck. So amazingly smooth, many hours had to be put into sanding it to perfection. The grain on the neck is dead on straight from head to heel and the fretboard looks almost like it's part of the neck. The coloring of the fretboard and the neck is so close to matching you can barely tell it's not one and the same. The 59/09 pickups combined with the IRW neck are the best part sound wise. With the push-pull tone pot (again a first for me) I'm able to get a very wide selection of sounds. One choice has almost an acoustic sound to it. I've yet to find a bad sound out of it, normally pickups only sound good with so many settings from the knobs as you may well know. Tuning - OMG! - Right out of the box it was dead on; I didn't have to touch a thing. Locking tuners are standard.

"59/09 Pickup

The new 59/09 Pickup is the second model in the 1957/2008 series line of pickups. The 1957/2008 Series pickups utilize PRS exclusive wire, proprietary winding and magnet innovations that help produce iconic sounds but with unique tonality. The 59/09 is slightly darker and more powerful in the bridge than the first model in the series."

881170162_Kicyy-XL.jpg

881170211_DjY8r-XL.jpg

881170531_TpNid-XL.jpg

881171661_sVRLk-XL.jpg

881170875_TKWGJ-XL-1.jpg

881170967_pqPi8-XL-1.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wowee. I'm not that keen on the blue but that's a matter of taste. That's an exquisite piece. The top looks so 3D I think I'd be scared of looking at it too long. Congratulations. How's it sound?

The sound and playability of this thing is so over the top. Acoustically it has the be the loudest guitar I've ever owned - except for a true acoustic. Then there's the sustain, I don't know what to attribute it to exactly. Has to be a combination of all the wood put together on this one. It keeps going and going and going.....

Then the pickups. OMG! I'd never heard them before, but they blow away any guitar I've heard before in the last 38 years. You get your standard humbucker sounds, think 57 PAF, but then you pull out the tone pot and it gets all creamy. Very hard to try to explain with words. I seriously cannot get a bad sound of it. Sounds so good unplugged that I think I've played it more that way. The feel of the neck......wow.

• Members

oh. my. god. just get creme speed knobs and you're my god

Hmmm, I was already trying to decide between clear or amber speed knobs. Hadn't really thought about creme, I will have to look into that. Thanks for the idea!

EDIT: And by new knobs, I mean the PRS Lampshade variety.

• Members

Visually, quilted tops are not my fave, but, DAMN(!) that's nice! Not just the top, but the entire instrument is a work of art. Congrats!

I noticed your posting handle. I do some hiking myself :thu:

• Members

Visually, quilted tops are not my fave, but, DAMN(!) that's nice! Not just the top, but the entire instrument is a work of art. Congrats!

I noticed your posting handle. I do some hiking myself
:thu:

Thanks! I suppose I should change it to TheGuitarDude, since I seem to play guitar way more often that I go hiking anymore.

Archived