Define "copy"

Jkater

• Members

A fellow forum member asked me in reply to a recent (and rather doomed) thread : Define "real". I thought his question was excellent and should have help save the thread from off-topic jokes and oblivion but it was to no avail : few people chipped in and the thread died from hunger...

So...new attempt, new approach.

What would you consider a "copy"? Obviously, there is a shallow definition to "copy" which refers to a guitar that has a particular style (semi-acoustic, jazzbox, "Les Paul", Strat,etc.) I'm trying to go a little deeper than that.

I think giving examples of particular models would be helpful because it would illustrate your thinking better than just words.

Thanks!

This might cause flames but.... In my opinion my mid 70's Fender Stratocaster and my 1971 Fender Stratocaster are both copies of the original instrument produced by Fender...

This is just my opinion....

They are not the originals so therefore they are copies...

I am okay with that

• Members

We all know what a Les Paul looks like, no need for me to post a pic, Epiphones I personally do not consider copies, same with Squire. They are just more affordable entry versions of the manufacturers originals.

but these below are IMO "copies". Some are expensive, some you can find hanging in your local pawn shop for cheap. My definition of copy is a guitar very very similar (almost indistinguishable) to the original in design. There are so many, these are just what I could find.

Copy

p1_uaufnbhvc_so.jpg

Copy

ibanez-paul-1.jpg

Copy (Aria Pro II)

AriaproIILC-700BlackBeautymij78no2.jpg

Copy - Brand is Kay

MyKay.png

copy

E-LP-92CD_WH.jpg

copy - Heritage

avail_her594.JPG

• Members

How did this thread get dragged back from 2005?

I did it a bit as a joke. I clicked on "last" page to see how far it went and to see how the general style of HCEG might have changed (it did). Then I saw this thread that I started way back then and bumped it for fun. Not a bad thread if you ask me. This IS an interesting question.

• Members

I do think the terms 'copy' and 'clone' get thrown around pretty loosely at times probably too loosely. There was a thread on talkbass recently where a few people referred to to yamaha BB as a "P-clone" which to me seemed like a bit of a stretch considering they are distinctly different. But i do think this is just laziness of language.

• Members

I do think the terms 'copy' and 'clone' get thrown around pretty loosely at times probably too loosely. There was a thread on talkbass recently where a few people referred to to yamaha BB as a "P-clone" which to me seemed like a bit of a stretch considering they are distinctly different. But i do think this is just laziness of language...

... and ignorance.

Archived