ohms question (Blackheart 5w combo)

johnnyswitch

• Members

Hey guys, doing a coffee shop gig tomorrow night and I'm taking along my Blackheart, like usual.

This time around I'm thinking of running it through my Traynor 2x12 cab (v30s), been trying it at home and seems to give just a bit more dimension to it.

Here is my question: can I run the 2x12 cab AND the 1x12 combo speaker at the same time?

Blackheart speaker: 75w, 16ohms

Traynor cab: 80w, 4ohms

Speaker-outs on BH: 16ohms(x1), 8ohms(x2), 4ohms(x2)

Thanks fellas

• Members

Combined impedance in parallel is 3.2 ohms. So, the closest you can get is plugging both into the 4-ohm jacks. Wiring cabs at 4 ohms just makes them near impossible to correctly mix with other cabs/speakers.

This is why I wire 2x12's in series to 16 ohms. If The Traynor was wired in series (16) instead of parallel (4), you could mix with the internal speaker and have an optimum load of 8 ohms (to use the two 8-ohm jacks).

My only hesitation is that small amps usually have small iron that are less rugged for mismatches. And at 4 ohms, you are using the least of the secondary coil of the OT. So, without more experience with the Blackheart, i would probably run just the Traynor cab. But there is no reason to assume it shouldn't be able to push both safely except to err on the side of caution.

• Members

Actually, I use a Blackheart Handsome Devil combo with an Eminence Texas Heat (16 ohm) in it. Played outdoors a few weeks ago, and used an extra Blackheart 1x12 cab I have with an Eminence Screaming Eagle (16 ohm) in it.

Plugged them both into the 8 ohm jacks and had a blast!!!

Archived