Best value 50 watt head?

danswon

• Members

that's the kind of prices i was hoping for. people hate them though? aren't Bugera associated with Behringer?

Check out the huge Bugera V-22 thread over at The Gear Page. Bugera was a company started by Behringer. A lot of people have their minds made up about the amp because of the Behringer association without ever hearing it. I bought mine when I hit hard times to get me through til I could afford a nicer amp, but I'm satisfied with mine enough that I don't want anything else at the moment.

Traynor is also a solid option. As is the Peavey Classic series and Crate Vintage Club series.

• Members

If you can find a Crate V100 head those are really nice. They are 100 watts but they have a half power switch to go to 50. I had one I really liked and sold it. I kick myself to this day. That was a solid amp.

I have a Bugera V55 head. It is a pretty decent amp stock, but it feels like the bias is on the cold side. I haven't checked it yet, though. I own other Bugeras and am happy with all of them.

The Peavey Valveking 100 head is also a really good head. You can use the texture control to cut the power to around 55 watts, at which point it will react like a class A amp.

The Epiphone SoCal 50 is also a very good amp.

• Members

Marshall.

Any all tube 50 watt.

unless of course you want reverb in whihc case Marshall's Suck.

the Bugera is a solid option.

I recommend a Used Peacey Ultra Plus!! 120Watts with a 1/2 Watt switch that has three channels - you can get one for 450.00

• Members

unless of course you want reverb in whihc case Marshall's Suck.

Actually my Marshall sounds great with my Fender Reverb tank.

the Bugera is a solid option.

Ah, what better way to sell your fellow American's downstream than by indebting us greater to our enemies for the sake of a piece of {censored} amp.

• Members

Actually my Marshall sounds great with my Fender Reverb tank.

Ah, what better way to sell your fellow American's downstream than by indebting us greater to our enemies for the sake of a piece of {censored} amp.

That's cheating and GREAT IDEA!!

• Members

that's the kind of prices i was hoping for. people hate them though? aren't Bugera associated with Behringer?

The rule of thumb seems to be, that people who don't own them hate them with and unreasonable passion,

and that, most guys who own them like them quite a bit.

Some of the tubes have failed pretty quickly, and that freaks some people out because they think it means the amp is broken, it's just a tube swap though. Like changing a light bulb. :idea:

I been playing a V5 everyday for the last several months, no issues. I think it's a very fine little amp actually. If I didn't have other amps I would look into the 22 and 55 for sure.

• Members

1. I own three of them, not one is a piece of {censored}.

2. There are very few American amp makers that actually use American labor and are affordable.

3. Please tell me how you have managed to keep from buying anything from China so that I may do the same and come on the internet and be an asshole about it, too.

• Members

Those Blackstar amps are pretty nice from the demos I've heard.

That they are! :thu:

As to the OP question....IMO

For the money, I think, hands down, the best for the money has to be any of the Peavey Classic series amps. I mean you get all the clean headroom you want with the added bonus of an FX loop> EQ - that can make those amps as dirty as you want. Hell with the gain dimed they can achieve Sabbath distortion all by themselves. I just dont see where you can go wrong with any of that series amps for a measily 400-500 (sometimes less). :idk:

• Members

I don't know what you're willing to spend, but I got my 1982 Hiwatt Custom 50 for $800. I'm not sure what other people think, but I would call that some serious amplifier for the money. There are plenty of 25+ year old Hiwatts out there for cheap right now, and they are so worth it. Hell, I got a 70s Custom 100 for a grand... I can't imagine getting more power, style, and tone for less money.

Archived