just how many guitars are enough?

steve_man

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah, Right now I have 4 electrics: A tele, a strat, an LP, and the Dot. Going to sell the Dot, but I'll probably replace it with another semi at some point. Plus, I have a p-bass and an acoustic electric...and a cheap mandolin. Pretty versatile group, so it can cover most tones that I care to play. So, 5 or 6 is a comfortable number for me...

...but I'll always take more...:cop:

• Members

One to recreate every sound I can hear in my head... So as many as possible. :) If you only want one type of sound, one guitar. If you wanna play jazz/blues/rock/metal/hip-hop/pop/rockabilly/omgwtfkindamusicisthis then you need a lot more. :) I personally need/want a lot of guitars.

• Members

depends how well you play

for most of us here 1 is enough... anything above that is gravy... nothin' wrong with gravy though

Wouldn't it be inversely proportional to how well you play?

If you're really good, you can make one guitar cover anything.

If you're no so great, you need more help.

I have a lot of guitars.

• Members

ask yourself:

how much do i enjoy having a bunch of guitars around the house?

how much physical space do i have?

do i have enough financially to cover maintenance, insurance, and other associated expenses?

am i acquiring guitars because i enjoy them, or do i have some deeper issue at play that needs to be addressed through other means (i.e. therapy)?

do i have a healthy financial balance between 'needs' and 'wants'; can i meet or exceed all of my financial obligations and still acquire guitars?

your answer is somewhere within the responses to these questions and it will vary depending on the person, i think.

• Members

I like to have at a bare minimum, 5 electrics; Kramer Floyd 80's guitar, Washburn 7 stringer, Tele, Strat, Paul. I also need 2 acoustics; a steel

string and a nylon string. So... the answer for me is... at least 7.

JKater? What is that gorgeous Ibanez semi-hollow you have in your pic?

Gary

Archived