just how many guitars are enough?

steve_man

• Members

Okay, may seem like a dumb question. I know, we all probably dream of a room full of guitars and amps...but in reality, that will probably not happen for most of us.

So, here's the question...how many guitars are realistically enough...3...4...20? Just curious as to your thoughts....

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A primary electric 6 string and a backup.

An electric 6 string for open G.

An acoustic 6 string.

An acoustic 12-string.

That's my starting point at 5. The rest I buy and sell as learning experiences, or to record with.

• Members

We just moved, so all of my gear except my Go travel guitar and one fender telecaster (buried in a stack of boxes along with my Tech 21 TM10 amp and Boss ME-50 and not currently accessible) are in a U-store space my son is renting. I'm getting severe withdrawal pains -- haven't touched an electric in a week! :eek::cry:

Oh -- to stop feeling sorry for myself and answer the question: I THINK I now have the arsenal I need:

1 Telecaster

1 Godin LG (P90)

1 Strat clone w/HB

2 Acoustic 6-strings

1 Acoustic 12

1 travel guitar

About the only thing I'm missing (if that's the right word) is a double-HB guitar. At some point, I can possibly see a Gretsch jet in my future...

• Members

Seven, cause that's how many my stand holds. Though if I come across a good deal on a baritone the number is gonna go up by one. An LP in E, a V in D (soon to be B), an HH Strat in D, an SSS Tele in Eb (soon to be open tuning), an acoustic in D, an acoustic in open D, and a bass. I have just about everything I could ever want to do covered. I don't have to dick around with tunings or worrying about intonation when I want to play something different, I just grab the one I have setup for it and go.

• Members

2.4. Or is that the number of children?

But really, here's a good rule of thumb, if you have use for all these sounds:

1 electric with single coils - tele or strat

1 electric with P90(s) - preferably a LP Junior

1 electric with humbuckers - take your pick

1 semi or hollow electric

1 semi acoustic.

So, the correct answer is 5.

• Members

As many as I can realistically afford and be happy with without negatively affecting my day-to-day life and more important personal finances

currently 9

I don't even get to play the "diversity" card because 3 of them have Filters and there's no tele

• Members

Realistically, the amount of guitars you need is just enough to have the sounds you need. Guitars are like tools. A construction worker doesnt go to work with just a hammer. He needs something for every situation. So, you need

a strat- blues

tele- country

humbucker-classic rock

acoustic

• Members

Less than I have, however unfortunately whenever I actually do something about selling one.... I usually end up with at least one more than I started with as I normally I find another one I 'need' whilst researching the value of the one intended for sale as well as realising it would be foolish to sell the one I want rid of:facepalm:.

• Members

Okay, may seem like a dumb question. .... Just curious as to your thoughts....

The Number of False God(s)

minus

The Number of True God(s)

plus

The number of licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop

times

The number of days in a lifetime

divided by

the size of the Tin Mans new heart.

Got it?

Archived